Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Me, Terre & Mark hit up Grandy yesterday. Snow, Rain, Ice, Hail and wind weren't the only thing we got. Between the 3 of us the count was 13 Macs and 1 small Rainbow. All in all a great day. Rainbow was caught on a trolling fly behind a dodger and the macs were caught on trolling a tube jig behind a dodger and some on spoons. Water temp was 50 and most fish were pulled out of 60-70ft of water.

:)

[me=Jay_In_Parker] [/me]

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Id say the avg was around 20in. Not sure on the sex but only one poped eggs out.

[me=Jay_In_Parker] [/me]

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
Jay_In_Parker said:
Id say the avg was around 20in. Not sure on the sex but only one poped eggs out.
How do you know the sex? I mean, it's not like turning a kitten upside down, so how do you know?

·
Registered
279 Posts
Do you actually read this stuff for recreation Ken? LOL Are you studing to be a field biologist? I thought I was the only one to read this stuff. Go ahead, Ken. Ask me anything about carp! LOL

·
Registered
24,511 Posts
Identification of sex chromosomes in lake trout (Salvelinus namaycush).

Phillips RB, Ihssen PE.

In the male trout there is a difference in the quinacrine banding and C-banding patterns between the two homologs of the second largest chromosome pair. This chromosome is the only large submetacentric in the karyotype, making it easy to identify and suggesting that the sex chromosomes have become differentiated since the time of tetraploidization. In males one homolog has a medium-to-large quinacrine bright heterochromatic band on the end of the short arm, while the other lacks it completely. In females both homologs have medium-to-large quinacrine bright heterochromatic bands. Approximately half the progeny from every lake trout cross studied and half the eggs from every lake trout population examined were heteromorphic for a difference in this chromosome band. Results from sexed fish, reciprocal F1 hybrids between brook trout and lake trout, and gynogenetic haploids are all consistent with the interpretation that chromosome 2 is the sex chromosome. These results suggest that the addition of heterochromatin to the X can be the first step in the inhibition of crossing over between the X and Y chromosomes required for sex chromosome differentiation.
Walking Eagle is saying..."huh?...their family tree forks?!" j/k ;)

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
Thanks Ken, translated I think that means you can't tell the difference just by looking at them.

I was worried about how the weather was going to effect fishing. Mark forgot his shorts, we only saw the sun for a few minutes, so I guess he didn't really need them anyway. Don't tell anyone but I wore a sweatshirt that is known for bad Karma.

We started out jigging, in hind site (and after reading Bernie's comment to Ken's report) we should have tried gravel humps in shallower water - nada (I broke one off though). And I think we would have caught more fish had Jay not had the "free tour of lake granby" sign on his lure. I said Jay, do you have a fish on? No he insisted reeling in to check his bait. Whats that then Jay?, as a half drowned laker appeared behind the boat.

Ter

·
Registered
405 Posts
Nice post, Jay, Talo,

Did you by chance see any of the larger fish rolling or cruising shallow water. It looks like the deep water trolling show worked for you though.

Barring the weather, it sounds like it was a great trip nonetheless.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Haha I love fishing in conditions like that and Catching fish... when you dont catch the fish it is kind of misserable. Good Job Jay Terre and Mark.

B

·
0 Posts
I am not sure if this is right but the males have the bigger mouths and the females have the smaller mouths. Just like the human race. :)

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
bernie said:
I am not sure if this is right but the males have the bigger mouths and the females have the smaller mouths. Just like the human race. :)
Not the females I hang around with.

·
Registered
24,511 Posts
Not the females I hang around with.
Ladies...that was ePiC spelled e-P-i-C...address your pm's to him or your pms...bwahahahahahahhaaa...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts