Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took wife and dogs to granby for the weekend.Started out at 730am sat and motored into Columbine bay- pretty chilly ride-Tried various metal and tubes,sacs and suckermeat but caught only 5 or 6 bos biggest 14".I missed a lot of hits on metal,lost some tiny salmon I think.Fished till 1230pm and had a 23"or so mac chase a bouyant but that was it.

Here's a pic of the ride:

Spent the afternoon collecting driftwood in the boat for a raging fire!
Went out in arapaho bay inlet area at 4pm and slayed the little bos on a fly/bubble/sucker meat combo.Musta caught 20 of 'em. Biggest was 14".Talked to a guy in a kayak who said he was tryin for browns but had nothing.
Went out sunday at 720am and fished close to boat ramp again caught only bos to 13",tried draggin s-meat and such.Headed up-lake and started htrowing metal along the cliffs along north side of arapaho bay and caught a 23" mac and had a few chasers.Caugth a few bos(13") on same . Lost a bo about 18" on a silver bouyant.It seemed anything of size I either lost or missed.Switched to a twister/suckermeat and caught a 20" mac and had several follows.I was throwing to shore and working it out to 30-40 ft. I was watching 2 guys in a lund jigging in about 55 ft and they were slaying macs like every 2 or 3 minutes.This was about 10am and I finally cruised nearer to them and I started seeing fish on the finder along the bottom and dropped a tube/s-meat down and instantly hooked up with a 20" mac.Caught a few more the same size and it was 11 am and time to leave.There were very few boats left on the lake and the campground was almost deserted when we left at 1145.I noticed that bluish algae indicative of turnover floating around,I will attribute that to my lack of succes this weekend!

F

·
0 Posts
Me and my folks fished from shore on saturday fished that dyke 1 I think is what they call it ...caught a few rainbows and my dad caught a nice koke using a colorado .....Pretty crazy ive never caught or seen anyone catch a koke from shore at grandby until sat .....A couple weeks and it should get hot

D

·
0 Posts
I fished Grand Lake Saturday from daylight until 1:00 PM and had a similar experience. Marked lots of fish but managed only 1 small mack. Glassy calm, bluebird day.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
hey slayer for a "lack of success" sounds like you got more fish than some of us mortals do on a good day....wish i had more trips with a lack of success like that

cool pic with the vapor comming of the water

·
Registered
16,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think its just a little early yet for the best fishing up there.Its too warm out.There didnt seem to be any spawning urgency at all.Woulda been neat to meet up with you guys,oh well,next time!

F

·
0 Posts
it was a spur of the moment trip ...At first I was gonna go alone then my sister said her and her boyfriend wouldnt mind going . Then my mom wanted to go shortly after my dad called and said he would like to go . Its been 10 years since Ive been fishing with my dad and even longer since we went as a family . Talk about good times I didnt fish hard at all to busy watching my family enjoy they outdoors . I hooked into something real nice but it was like it didnt even know if it was hooked ...my drag started pulling left for a couple seconds but it was slow ...then nothing ...makes me wonder ...It wont be long before it gets really good at grandby .

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
SLAYERFISH said:
I think its just a little early yet for the best fishing up there.Its too warm out.There didnt seem to be any spawning urgency at all.Woulda been neat to meet up with you guys,oh well,next time!
I think you are right. It is to early yet. The water wasn't as cold yet as I had expected at 11-MIle. The weeds are starting to die and break off, so we are close! We need some cold weather up there to get past turnover and start the party!!!!

·
Registered
943 Posts
hey slayer just let us know when you are going fishing anywhere . i would love to learn some metal tossing

F

·
0 Posts
orange and silver kastmasters ....silver kastmasters with the white fly on it ......those are two lures you cant go wrong with ..

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
fishinguitars said:
. I hooked into something real nice but it was like it didnt even know if it was hooked ...my drag started pulling left for a couple seconds but it was slow ...then nothing ...makes me wonder ..
Sounds like a "big mac' to me ;)

·
Registered
124 Posts
I was up there 10/4... We were the LUND pulling the planner boards. Think we waved in the bay. For us lots of rainbows, & 2 Kokes. Beautiful out! 8)
Cojones OUT

·
Registered
499 Posts
Nice Post,

Love the fog picture, I've got one just like it for Wolford on Friday 09-30-05.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts