Colorado Fisherman Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I fished over by dike 3 this morning. It was -17 in Grand Lake when I got up. It was -4 when I got to the lake at 8 am. Used a spud, thinner ice is by shore. I fished about 75 yards out, the ice was a solid 5 3/4” I measured. There is a thin layer of snow that will probably grow overnight. Iced one nice laker had two on that I lost. Best action was between 10 and noon. Many little taps, I would have had more but I was in rookie hook set mode. Fished a little deeper than normal, 63 FOW, but it was cold and didn’t want to move. Snow is pretty deep and was a heckuva hike back out. Happy 2019-20 ice season!

·
Registered
718 Posts
I fished over by dike 3 this morning. It was -17 in Grand Lake when I got up. It was -4 when I got to the lake at 8 am. Used a spud, thinner ice is by shore. I fished about 75 yards out, the ice was a solid 5 3/4” I measured. There is a thin layer of snow that will probably grow overnight. Iced one nice laker had two on that I lost. Best action was between 10 and noon. Many little taps, I would have had more but I was in rookie hook set mode. Fished a little deeper than normal, 63 FOW, but it was cold and didn’t want to move. Snow is pretty deep and was a heckuva hike back out. Happy 2019-20 ice season!
I know the feeling the first time I go fishing for lake trout it always catches me off guard when I get taps and setting the hook. Your next attempt will me a much better outting.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Fished Granby Sat. the 28th. Fished out from the boat dock at Sunset Bay is 56 feet of water. Ice 5 to 6 inches with 3 inches of snow on top. Caught four lakers in 2 hours using small white tube jig and Kasty tipped with sucker meat. 12 to 18 inch size.

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
Fished Granby Sat. the 28th. Fished out from the boat dock at Sunset Bay is 56 feet of water. Ice 5 to 6 inches with 3 inches of snow on top. Caught four lakers in 2 hours using small white tube jig and Kasty tipped with sucker meat. 12 to 18 inch size.

:thumb::thumb:

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Bernie says we should be seeing more lakers this season in the 20 - 22 inch class. He recommends keeping smaller fish and letting those larger ones go so they can keep on growing.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Anyone know what live bait options you have for Grandby? As I understand it you can't do minnows because it is over 7000 ft. Just would be nice to have some movement on my tip ups. Thanks!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts