Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got back from a fun day at Granby.
I got to Sunset Point around 8:00 and fished about 50 yards northeast of the boat ramp in 42 feet of water.  The ice was about 6 inches thick with a couple of inches of snow on top.  Used a Green 3 inch tube jig tipped with sucker meat.  I tried 9 different holes before I got a bite, and ended up catching 14 out of the 9th hole.  The first fish was only 12 inches long, but the rest were all between 18 and 23 inches.  They look like they are eating well and the bigest one looked to be between 4 and 5 lbs.  They were all released in good condition so you guys can catch them on the 7th.

I also got to play around with the new fishfinder I bought for my boat.  Its a Lowrance LMS 337DF and it replaces an Eagle that I've used for the last 15 years.  While its not set up to be an ice machine, and I have no idea if its as good as a Vexilar on the ice, it is a pretty cool fishfinder.
I was able to compare both frequencies to see which one picked up my jig better at each depth I fished and I could clearly see the fish come to the jig.  The color screen indicates how active the fish are with red being the most active.  Its a fun toy.

Granby is hot right now and I can't wait to go back.

C

·
0 Posts
Hope you are going on jan 7. WE need a few good guides --- less holes and more fish!

·
Registered
701 Posts
My dad and I also fished Granby today and we set our sites for Cuttthrout bay. Like you said the ice was about six inches and real bubbley. Probally not quite ripe enough for snow macines yet. There were many slush spots in the area so use extreme caution always in Cutty bay. Even in the dead of winter there seems to be a soft spot somewhere near the middle area. During the tournament two years ago my dad and I witnessed a guy lose his sled into the drink. Our local friend who was on the volunteer rescue dive squad tells us this area is notorious for sloppy ice.
The reservoir level is exactly 23 feet below full so vary your maps accordingly. We were able to find a sweet looking flat in 20 fow directly west of the pump house that was adjecent to the channel. This area should hold a good number a macks. I say should because we only caught two in about five hours. Like LazyDave said these fish have been eating very well. In fact, I've never seen a Granby mack so fat. This is very exciting because these fish may finally be getting a better forage base. Closer to shore right below the parking area, two other guys landed a mess of huge black post-spawn kokes. Can't wait to get up there soon.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I was up there too. Fishing in about 45 feet of water off the boatramp at sunset point about 500 yards north. Fished from about 7:30am until I had to head home at 10:30. Caught 6 and lost a few others. Everything between 17 and 19. I agree on the fat comments, never seen them look healthier. Maybe that's why this year it seems like they are pickier. Last year, if the Vexilar picked up a fish, chances are they would take the tube jig. This year I notice a lot more checking it out and then leaving. Which makes me wonder - what are they looking for this year to get them to hit? I also fished last Monday and it really died down after about 9 am. I am heading up there for a week on Monday. How do they bite in the afternoon / evenings at Granby?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hope you are going on jan 7.  WE need a few good guides --- less holes and more fish!

I'm not sure that I can make it on the 7th.  I have a commitment that day and I'm not sure I can get out of it.

I don't consider myself an expert on Granby but I would be glad to show you what I know about lakers if I get up there.

B

·
0 Posts
The reason the fish are looking so healthy is the mysis shrimp are making a come back. this is a really bad thing. the shrimp live deeper then the salmon and will eat the plankton at night. they will starve the salmon and make the population crash again. it is a viscous cycle. the smaller lakers will eat some of the shrimp but they will not make a dent in the population and the shrimp will continue to populate the lake. in the years when the lake is full the shrimp numbers have been as high as 3000 per square meter. after the drought the numbers were down to 2-3 per square meter. unfortunatly they are on the comeback which will give us fat small macs, instead of the 17-19 inch fall salmon they will drop in size to 12-15". and the salmon run numbers will drop. there is not anything anyone can do about this its just a nasty cycle the lake goes thru. i do not mean to be gloom and doom just pointing out some facts of why things are what they are and what the next 3-4 years will bring. granby is one of the few lakes that fair very well in the drought years. when the water is low the shrimp loose there thermal protection and all the other fish can eat-em-up. but when the lake is high they multiply like bunnys. good luck and be careful HAPPY NEW YEAR bernie

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Good info, and bernie is right. Mysis are bad news when it comes to a laker fishery. Besides lack of slot limits and some greedy anglers keeping big macks and a bunch of salmon, the mysis have been a key contributer to the decline of big lakers in many colorado reservoirs. I'm glad they aren't in big blue!
granby sounds like a fun place; a lot of small lakers can be fun sometimes! Should be a good thing that the limit is 4 now (although I am very disappointed there is no slot or no "only 1 above 20" allowed).
I may hit granby this year, I'll try to give a definite date.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Glad to hear of all the good luck at Granby. I am planning to head up there this weekend. What is happening on the 7th? How is Arapahoe Bay fishing?
Any fish being caught on willow creek?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts