Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
16,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hit Granby inlet with my bud again and same results as last time.I ended up with 50 or so r-bows and a 14" brown. Todd got about 30 fish including a 22" mac and 2 browns,one a 17"er.The weather was changing wildly from hot sun and calm to windy dark and snow,sleet,hail.Whenever it got sunny and calm they hammered the lures like silver thomas bouyants and silver super dupers. The most consistent action was on egg sacs or worms.I had one stretch where I caught a fish on every cast for 2 hrs straight!We were fishing in about 6 ft deep near the inlet.The biggest fish I caught were 2 bos at 17",1 at 18",and 2 at 16".About half were 13" or less.I got a bunch of the little ones on a panther martin.The main lake is breaking up big time and should be wide-open in a week at most.LOTS of open water on shore.Nows the time to hammer dumb ice-out trout.Heres the only pic I could load,notice a couple have egg swollen bellys.I'll be tying up some fresh sacs for the weekend!Later-

·
Registered
296 Posts
hey slayer i will be there on saturday morning looking for dumb ice out fish maybe i will see you there
eric

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
I bet you're hiding the pics of the bigger macks! :p

·
Registered
16,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I wish!I've just never done well for macs at the inlet in spring,fall is another matter altogether though.

·
Registered
405 Posts
The "Slayer" strikes again! How much open water is there at the inlet, or how many people do you think it can accomodate before it's too crowded to fish off the banks this Saturday? With fish catching numbers like the ones you posted, I'd be willing to putup with the elements and have a go at it.

Pete

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Slayer, you are one hell of a trout fisherman!

·
Registered
16,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I practice a lot I guess...there is TONS of open water at Granby.Theres basically 3 main inlets,the pump from willow creek(which wasnt running),the one from monarch lake,and the colorado river in columbine bay.Plenty of elbow room at the latter.It can get pretty muddy this time of year up there-good boots w/gaiters or some light waders are a must especially when its cold.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Excellent Slayer, I'm there tomorrow, barring a snow- dump and or high winds.

Pete

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
slayer i was wondering are you talking about spawn sacks from kokanee ? ill be hitting granby in search of ice out lake trout, ive got a bunch of eggs, i was interested in knowing how long they last before they dont work anymore ?

·
Registered
16,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The sacs I use are from trout although It doesnt make much difference.However,I have noticed that the koke eggs dont seem to stay as orange or fresh as long as the trout eggs.Obviously,fresher=better but I just tied some up that were 1 yr old and they were fine.If the fish are really into sacs then anything will work,if they are picky,then who knows!

M

·
0 Posts
does anyone know of a website or anything that shows how to tie aa good sac together. i caught about 4 bows this years that squirted eggs all over and if i knew how i would have put them to better use than flipping the whole ton back into the lake..

thanks

·
Registered
16,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hey Mustang,its cake!Go to sportsmans and buy the pre-cut squares of netting.Also pick up a spool of "Magic thread".Lay the square on some newspaper or whatever.Put a dollop of eggs in the center.You want the finished size to be about the diameter of a nickel,maybe a little smaller.Grab 2 of the corners together,then using your other hand grab the other 2 corners of netting and put them in with the first 2 corners.In other words,the thumb,forefinger,and middle finger will be holding the 4 corners.Then you wrap the magic thread as it says on the package.I'm righthanded so I hold the sac in my left hand .Then cut the extra netting and thread with scissors.Place into a suitable container like an old salmon egg or powerbait jar. Done!Simple!Killer!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts