Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wife and I decided to head up to Granby and get away from the city.  Got to the lake about 5:15.  We tried everything to get a bite, but no luck until noon!  But from noon to about 2:45 when the wind picked up, the rain started falling and the white caps made their appearance, we managed to catch 11 macks all about 20" long.

All were caught trolling leadcore at about 6 1/2 colors.  Think I'm in love with lead core now, and I've found a new favorite lake.  We brought 6 fish home for the dinner table.

·
Registered
24,557 Posts
It's not to late to change your handle to LakerBoatJockey by the sounds of things...nice job of weathering the weather...

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
a thought for consideration there zman... either that or leadcore junky? :D

We even saw snow coming back over Berthoud Pass.... ONLY IN COLORADO!

·
Registered
24,557 Posts
Still lots of snow opportunity...I much to my surprise woke up to 5 inches on the ground around my tent in the Flattops on what was around July 12th one year...old and CRS!...the first two words are Can't and Remember...

·
Registered
124 Posts
"All were caught trolling leadcore at about 6 1/2 colors. Think I'm in love with lead core now, and I've found a new favorite lake."

Hey what kind of reels are you using? & when you go back 61/2 colors how far of a set back is that?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I use Penn level winds. they're fairly old reels, but still work quite well. 6 1/2 colors would be about 70 yards plus the leader material. each color is 10 yards. I run 18# test which is approximately a 5' drop for each color at 1.5 mph.

·
Registered
943 Posts
hey larry nice job. where were you trolling? ;D

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey Scott... we were trolling off Rocky Point  (think that's what it is called??)  It was a good time bud! The wife even caught a couple! she said it was about time I took her someplace SHE could catch fish instead of watching me do it! lol

·
Registered
943 Posts
glad to hear it. you must of had a great guide the first time >:D

·
Registered
833 Posts
You were trolling in a bass boat? Did anyone see you doing this? Please don't tell me you have rod holders mounted
on the gel coat.

·
Registered
833 Posts
BBJ,
just busting your hump. I have a 19' Ranger DVS bass boat
w/ a 175 Merc EFI and have been known to troll at times.
Got some strange stares when we took it up to Stagecoach
and trolled for trout. Could only get it up to 52 mph in the thin air! Tight lines.

·
P I K E
10,114 Posts
Hammer said:
You were trolling in a bass boat? Did anyone see you doing this? Please don't tell me you have rod holders mounted
on the gel coat.
       NO rod holders on a Ranger    ???   How about downriggers?  Dammit, guess I'll have to figure something else out for my spare 40 grand!!!
     LOL...JKJKJK guys!!!
      Good luck & cya on the water

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
LoL, when I saw them there in that bassboat I thought the same thing. Where are the downriggers on that thing? You'd have to lay face down on the back deck to attach the line clip.

I used to like leadcore too but now I look at it as a pain in the a$$. Id rather let out 50ft and attach a 4oz weight to it. I hate letting out 300ft of line just to get my lure down 30ft.

[me=Jay_In_Parker] [/me]

M

·
0 Posts
I use a bass boat as well - bought it because I wanted a solid casting platform for fly fishing from. In retrospect, a walleye boat configuration would have been a better choice, but I'm definately happy with what I have. The guys at the shop where I bought the boat did look at me funny when I asked about rod holders though.

I mounted two flush mount holders up near the front chair with an outward angle, then two flush mount near the rear chair sticking straight up for any guests. I sit up front when trolling with the trolling motor and at the center console when fast trolling. Works terrific. I also have a bimini cover for the hot sun. I guess I'm just a little strange?

As for depth...lead core, deep six divers, and bottom bouncers. No troubles yet!

...and all this time I thought people were scratching their heads at the three dogs in the boat ???

1 - 20 of 40 Posts