Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Littlemac and I headed to Granby today. Really it was an experimental mission, the pursuit of large rainbows and browns... We failed in the primary mission...

We did catch a dozen or so small rainbows 13-15 inches and could have caught many more, no browns. After a while we said well lets catch a few lakers before we head back. We caught 6 or 7 in a couple hours.

There is still snow on the shore line.

The lake is down about 30 feet - a nice day until it started blowing and raining.

Littlemac caught the biggest, there is some disagreement about who caught the most, there was no disagreement on who caught the first - me.

released

the water was 40-42 degrees, the air not a whole lot warmer. I like having my daughters camera.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I am thinking about taking a day trip up there this week - Thanks for the report. You sealed the deal - I'm definately going up there.

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
Looks like a good day T.

Was there a dock in the water for ez loading. Were you guys marking any fish?

[me=Jay_In_Parker] [/me]

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sunset did not have a dock. Stillwater might have.

We marked some fish - a few big ones - we should have stopped and jigged - but mostly we were experimenting.

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
Terre,

Nice report, thanks! I am looking forward to getting up there someday soon and going after some of those deep swimming fishies...

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Kokaneeking,

We did not fish in any of the usual kokanee spots - so we didn't see any schools of anything.

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
W/O a dock how does the other person get in the boat after parking the truck. Sorry, Newb question.

[me=Jay_In_Parker] [/me]

·
Registered
431 Posts
Well Jay back in arapahoe bay we launch then I drive around the little leg to the right/left to were it gets shallow then the others walk out about 5 feet or so and jump in. If there is a better way I would like to know ;D and nice picks T

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Nice laker. Does granby have a lot of big browns in it?

·
Registered
91 Posts
I fished Granby yesterday as well and never really found the macs this time. Lots and lots of small rainbows hit any kind of metal that was tossed, but only two macs. Without the dock, it was pretty tough to get the boat back on the trailer as Jay's question was right one. came to shore in a howling wind and white caps were coming over the back of the boat pushing in into shore. By the time I got the truck down there, it took a mighty cold waist deep wade to pull the boat back out. Sure wish my old Johnson's reverse still worked. Water temp is about 42-44 depending on location.

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
TFB,
There are not a lot of big Browns - at least I don't know where they are, we have caught 20 inchers maybe a little bigger.

Jay,
Yeah, just beach the boat to get on and off. The wind yesterday made it more challenging. A steeper shore line helps get the bow over the shore so you can load and unload without getting wet.

It is easier with a dock, and you track less mud into the boat.

F

·
0 Posts
Nice fish. So are the lakers deep or shallow? I coulnd't find them Saturday. Spent Sunday afternoon cleaning the mud out of the boat.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts