Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went camping (the focus of the weekend) with 4 kids, the 2 dogs, and friend Kris. Blue bird sky, next to no wind, and no storms.

Did I mention I forgot the bait!!! Oh yeah, and we ran out of marshmellows the first night!!

I managed to sneak in about 6-7 hours of fishing while everyone else was having fun camping and swiming - yep, the water was 58 degrees-I told them the fish finder said 65. The kids went in looking like cooked lobster (sun burn) and coming out looking like blue crab.

Fishing was slow, I did a lot of experimenting, changing lures every 10 minutes. I was graphing fish. I tried trolling and jigging. Watching the fish finder while jigging I could see the fish and my jig, but the fish did not respond to my normal white tube jigs like they normally do - actually not at all. I tried deep water (structure 80 - 130 feet) and had a few nibbles. I managed to catch 2 lakers and 2 kokanee trolling at 40-60 ft. Of course, I blame the bad fishing on the dozen or so banana's we carried on the boat to our camp site. And I told the kids on the way over, not a word of this (the b word) while we are on the boat... All I heard on the way to camp was we want Banana Boats!!! Boats know!

Terre

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
Well.... At least you caught some! I'm itchin to go back up to Jefferson this coming week, but my wiper blood is running too thick and I need to thin it out by catching a few more before I return to the mackinaw!

·
Registered
109 Posts
I wanna go for lakers but i heard that the state screwed em up cant get any big ones very often

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
Ben....

If you want a fish for butter w/lemmon pepper seasoning.... A tiny 16 to 20ish inch laker is a bet! From the looks of what I've been reading on this forum, there's not much lunkers nowadays. However, if ya just want to catch one you should do it. They're fun fish to catch! I got TALO and other members of this forum to thank for that one!

1eyeReD

·
Registered
109 Posts
Alright sounds good ill have to wait till i get a boat though unless its possible to catch them off shore which im guessing isnt likely

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
Ben said:
Alright sounds good ill have to wait till i get a boat though unless its possible to catch them off shore which im guessing isnt likely
I'm sure you can do it at Lake Jefferson. That's where I caught my 1st one and I caught that one and lost a couple others within casting distance of shore. From what I understand the lake trout at Jefferson stay shallow for the most part of summer, unless that's incorrect. Correct me if I'm wrong Terre.

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
1eyered,

You are correct they stay shallow, and deep... and everywhere, at Jefferson. We usually troll just out of reach of shore casters (100-150 feet from shore = 20 to 50 feet of water) so as not to tangle their lines, many of our fish have come off lures running just below surface. And in my opinion - you are also right about the good eats. The lakers at Granby I might add are starting to get really orange meat again - they had white meat and were kind of starved looking the last few years. On inspection the ones I caught this weekend were eating flies, not Mysis Shrimp.

Terre

·
Registered
109 Posts
Hey, thanks for being considerate to those who are to young to have a boat or they are to expensive what kind of lures do you use, you use steel leader right?

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
Flies eh?? They sure come a long ways up to get a meal!

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ben,

All you need is mono or florocarbon. Lakers teeth are pretty small and are not all that sharp. A week ago we saw lots of rising fish. We didn't have fly rods or fly fishing equipment, I thought they were rainbow. Now I think some of them were the smaller lakers. This time I brought my fly rod, but the rises were way less, I tried for a couple hours to no avail. The kokanee and lakers I caught trolling however had been eating the same thing, faily small, brownish flys or nymphs.

Terre

·
Banned
487 Posts
Ben said:
I wanna go for lakers but i heard that the state screwed em up cant get any big ones very often
They sure did and still do. PM me for more details and what we need to do about it.

·
Registered
247 Posts
i agree that the lakers at jefferson were eating flies. At least the few i caught up there this weekend and two weeks ago. All the bows that we kept also had the same flies.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts