Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quickrelease, Vickie and I went to Granby today. We were doing the bankers hours routine, we left at 5:08 am, the birds were chirping and lots of light was in the sky, and we were sill two hours away from the water. We stopped at Mcdonalds on the way.

So we had the boat in the water at roughly 7:23 and 45 seconds, and then ran from Sunset to A-Bay at 4000 and one rpms.

We set up for a troll, the idea being to find a concentration of 20 plus lb lakers, like laker taker and yes, Bernie, had been catching, and then stop to jig for them. The fish had other plans.

We began catching fish right and left, I was on the right. I caught the first.

We were catching nice 24 to 26 or 27 inch fish (4-6 lbs).

I got a hook stuck in my thumb(above photo), with a very lively 4ish lb laker still attached to the lure. I requested assistance. Quickrelease said he had a fish on that was more important than my suffering-which he added didn't appear to be life threatening. So Vickie got the pliers out, got the fish off the hook, then helped pushed the barb the rest of the way through the meat of my thumb, and Vickie cut the barb off. MARK mean while, fought and quickreleased a measly 20 incher.

The fishing didn't slow down all day (till 2:23 when we left)- we caught lots of lakers, one of the fastest action days I've had at granby in a boat. We only caught smaller 18-22 inch fish later in the day, but they were still fun. We also caught about 6 kokanee and 6 rainbows.

We only fished in Arapahoe Bay, down riggers and monkey balls. 20 feet of water to 120 where fish were suspended 30-70 feet down.

·
Registered
24,552 Posts
Quickrelease said he had a fish on that was more important than my suffering-which he added didn't appear to be life threatening
...I am sorry that is just wrong!...even Bernie would of stopped to help you!...like I said you are one of the toughest ladies I have ever met...nice fish and nice trip...that had to be a hoot except for the thumb!

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
Terre,

Nice fish and too bad about the thumb! I had to push a hook through on my four year old's finger last year and he was a good sport about it, with only a couple of tears so I know it really hurts -- ouch!

Looks like we missed you as we got on the water about 10:30AM and spent most of our time near Inspiration Point. Also caught several 18-22 inchers. I'll add some pics and a report later...

Cheers,
Mike

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
ooch, Guess that Bernie carma got you right in the thumb.

Was thinking about hitting it up Sat.

Thanks for getting my hopes up :)

[me=Jay_In_Parker] [/me]

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Well if you cant catch the big ones might as well catch alot, right. :p Looks like a great day out on the water. Was there any size to the rainbows and kokanees you guys caught? I like how you just barily added that in like they were nuisances. :p

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Epic,

The rainbows and kokanee were 12-14 inches. We had one rod out for them.

Mike we were mostly east of inspiration point in the morning and west of it later. I was kind of watching for you.

There were no tears, and only mild swearing.

·
Registered
72 Posts
It wasn't the fish I had on that kept me from helping Terre with the hook in her thumb. I just didn't want to pass out from the sight of blood. That would have meant they would have to take care of me and miss out on some great fishing. I was just thinking of them, honest!!!!! ;)

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I thought Vickie looked a little queazy after pushing the hook through and cutting off the barb.

Next time something like that happens, I think I will let you drown, if you happen to accidently fall over board. ;D

Kidding of course.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Sorry about you getting hooked. I've never had that happen, and it doesn't sound like fun. What were you using to catch nice fish like that? Ron

·
Registered
16,613 Posts
Excellent job,Talo-you are pretty good at that trolling stuff!

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ron,

My two rods were set up with big thin spoons. My set up worked well, reel a fish in, put the bait back out, then reel in the fish on the other rod, repeat. Quickrelease was using a dodger and squid bait, on a rod that had red line... I thought and said, no way will that pole catch anything the fish will see the red line... I knew the bait would be ok, I was wrong about the line - it worked pretty good. Quickrelease was using lead core on his other rod, he tried a variety of baits but did not catch a fish on it. (well, it did catch one rainbow but that didn't count because he previously declared the lead core as a laker pole). He is lucky I didn't call a scratch.

Sometimes one rod just does not have good carma going for it, such was the case of the lead core rod, it had a bad case of the curse. So bad as a matter of fact, I was worried it might infect some of my poles.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Thanks for the info. I'm thinking of going there on Monday or Tuesday, I'm not sure yet. Being retired and having so many days to chose from wears a guy out. I hope I can do
half as good as you did, Congrats. Ron

1 - 15 of 15 Posts