Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fished Granby today from 11:00 am - 1:30 pm with my two boys. The wind blew pretty good most of the time that we were out there, which made it difficult trolling from my 14 ft. jonboat. We did manage to catch five lake trout ranging from 16 to 24 inches. The fish were caught using downriggers trolling 40 to 55 ft. down in the Arapahoe Bay end of the lake. One set up caught all of the fish (small silver flashers trailed by a tie-dye colored needlefish - the needlefish was not the smallest but the next size up). Tried numerous spoons and plugs on the second rod with no success. Water temperature at the surface was 65 degrees F. The lake was much higher then it was a month ago. Here are some pictures of my boys with their macks. Sam caught the big fish of the day.

Ben and Sam showing off their fish (as you can see Ben seems to be full of envy over Sam's nice mack)

Sam's mack (24 inches)

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
FF,

Nice looking fish and fisherman! It sounds like the fish had gone a bit farther into the bay compared to last weekend. Were you marking many of them?

It is so nice to see the water level up as we like to camp at Arapaho Bay sometimes and the boat ramp hasn't been available very much recently.

Glad your boys had a good time.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Work2Fish,

I was marking some fish, but they were scattered. Did not find any large schools. I did catch them further into the bay then I had before, but nothing in the shallower parts of the bay. All of the fish were caught over 45 ft. of water or more. I agree, it is very nice to see the water level coming up again. I remember the days that I caught some nice macks trolling inside the campground bay.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Right-on and hooray for the kids. There is nothing more exciting than watching the kids hook and play a fish!

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
Nice fish,

Fishing with kids is great. Yours look like experienced fisherman. Not to bring up a touchy subject or anything, but did YOU catch anything? Most of the times I fish with my kids I get skunked? I get some ribbing from them, but I have grown to accept it. I dream of the day when they catch so many that I get to catch some fish. It seems the more they catch, the more they want to catch, and the more they hold it over me.

Terre

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Skunked sums up my day. The only ones I get to catch are the ones that we do not even know that are on. However, it is a small price to pay for getting to see so much enthusiasm out of my kids.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Wow those are some nice looking fish... Good job kids!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts