Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We headed up for camping at Granby Lake on Friday. I started fishing about 7:30AM on Saturday. It was as smooth as glass and the water temp was 62 degrees. I proceeded to troll with downriggers at depths of 40, 50 and 60 feet (where I had been marking them) near Twin Pines Point. There were several other boats out there along with me. I don't know about you, but it is particularly tricky to get the downrigger release to be set just right. Too loose, it snaps before you get your line down to depth, too tight and only a monster fish can release it. Pretty sad when you check your downrigger only to find a fish too small to pull the release which you've been dragging around for several miles. So I guess there is always the possibility that I had a fish that got off because I set the release too tight since I really had to at these depths :p. After about 4 hours of trolling with a variety of spoons, crankbaits and spinners, I had only one bite and no fish.

I had some troubles parking my truck and boat at the campground since the driveway was shorter than advertised (we were at Stillwater which was the only place that still had some spots). Instead I had to park along side the road and later that afternoon I was told I had to unhitch my boat and park my truck in the boat ramp parking area. Okaaaay. The next thing I know, another truck had parked in the spot I was told not to and I could not get my boat out! So, I gave up fishing that evening and went in to town for dinner to try and distract myself from the irritation of the GCH (Gestapo Camping Hosts -- jk).

I was out on the water this morning at 9AM. Quite a bit less boat traffic on Sunday, btw. I started trolling spoons, but this time a little deeper, at 65-70 feet. I was prepared to head back to the campground to pack up at about 11:30AM and I was starting to get disappointed in the fact that I would be leaving the lake without catching anything. About 11AM, I looked at my downrigger and it was acting as if the ball was dragging on the bottom of the lake -- all sorts of jiggling around. Then I noticed that the line had released and I had a fish! I started reeling in slowly and it felt like the ball of the downrigger was still attached. No, my line was far away from the downrigger wire. So I continued to reel in and it didn't take long for me to realize that this was a big fish. He would let me reel him up a little, then dart down to the depths again. He had me moving all around the boat at least three times as I continued to drag him up. I was carefully trying to get my other downrigger up and out of the way, but I was by myself and it was difficult. I was thinking, no one will believe me when I tell them that I was fighting a big fish -- I must bring it in! I kept the pressure on all the time and let him run a bit when he really pulled. When he wasn't diving or fighting, he felt like a spare tire that had sunk to the bottom, or a medium sized fish that I had hooked sideways. After about 20 minutes, I was finally able to bring him to the surface. He came up sideways and I saw his football-shaped profile as he came to the surface. A very nice laker!

He measured 36" and had a 20" girth. I tried unsuccessfully to revive him and release him, but he would not stay upright so I ended up taking him home.

So, sorry for the long post, but it was an interesting day. I'm going to fill out a Master Angler award and see what happens.

D

·
0 Posts
Nice fish!! That's as big as I've heard of coming out of Granby in quite a while. Congrats!

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Looks nice... Glad you tried to release, sometimes the fight can really take it out of them. How much did he weigh?

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ePiC said:
Looks nice... Glad you tried to release, sometimes the fight can really take it out of them. How much did he weigh?
ePiC,

I guess it must have been the fight and I did try not to bring him to the point of total exhaustion. Of course, he was also a handful and I wondered if he would ever come to the surface. I was not able to weigh him until after I got home and he was 16 3/4 pounds according to my scale.

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Don In Denver said:
Nice fish!! That's as big as I've heard of coming out of Granby in quite a while. Congrats!
Don,

Thanks. The latest DOW report for Granby mentions a 34 incher weighing over 20 pounds recently being caught -- that thing must have had one heckuva girth since mine was shy of 17 lbs. and I thought he was fat.

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
Nice fish Work2fish, and report.

I haven't had an chance to try this but some of my friends in Michigan tie a small hook on 4-6lb line to a big weight (6oz +) tied to the main line, hook the fish up and run it down to the bottom, give a quick jerk to break the light line and release the fish. Anyone heard of anything like that here? I don't even know if the method really lets fish survive or not. Just have some friends trying it.

Terre

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
what a laker. Good job on the trying to c&r...but sometimes when you fight a fish so long it won't work.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Awesome Laker!!!!!! I am waiting for one like that from Granby. I will be up there this coming weekend and was just wondering what you caught that monster on.

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
FF,

It was a spoon. I sent you a PM with a pic...

·
Registered
103 Posts
real nice, interesting how you mention it coming up sideways, some that I have landed in the summer from Granby in particular over the years have done the exact same thing, so you are not the only one, I e-mailed Doug at IF a few years ago and he suggested they build up some chemicals in their blood from the workout then go into temperature related shock on the way up then cannot get any O2 at the surface :(

·
Registered
405 Posts
Work2fish,

NOW THAT'S A LAKER! I was wondering how long it would be before we saw a big fish come out of Granby... you just don't see as many of the big ones anymore.

Pete

·
Registered
296 Posts
its an awsome report the mighty laker is an awsome fish they are very smart fish this time of the year. well i should say picky if any thing and to all that dont think granby holds many of those big fish wait till this fall and first ice

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for the congrats, everybody. I have to say that it was fun to catch and, during the fight, there was much doubt in my mind as to whether or not I would actually get it in the boat. There is a good possibility that I will mount it. Even though there are bigger lakers around, this is my first big one and also largest fish I've caught in Colorado... All I can say is I believe this one came from spending many hours on the water and trying lots of different stuff.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts