Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took a trip to Granby last week with Twitch and Batman. Wanted to try out Koldkut's new rods...Gotta say they worked great! A soft tip...but not too soft..and plenty of backbone on the hook set. We each missed a couple, but no one was skunked. It was a great day to be out, and in between storms.. we had a great time. If you're looking for an ice rod...We loved these..

Here's a few pics...

Twitch

And the release..

Man Batman...your fish has a twelve inch stocker stuck in it's throat!

·
Registered
57 Posts
OK -- Just cutting my teeth on icefishing for trout (sorry, been flyfishing for 30 years) -- but I must say that those are immpressive lakers! Great job.

So what is the story behind these rods? I have started to research pike/laker ice fishing rods and have not come up with a lot of options. Any advice on rods and reels is appreciated...

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
6,422 Posts
zenlikefishing said:
OK -- Just cutting my teeth on icefishing for trout (sorry, been flyfishing for 30 years) -- but I must say that those are immpressive lakers! Great job.

So what is the story behind these rods? I have started to research pike/laker ice fishing rods and have not come up with a lot of options. Any advice on rods and reels is appreciated...
The opinions run the gammit dude, it's mostly preference. From a builders perspective, there are two types of rods, hut rods and outside/standup rods. Lengths on the huts rods are shorter, in the 36" range or smaller, and the standup rods I've seen built out to 50 inches.

Those rod blanks are expensive, more expensive than most folks would care to pay for an entire finished ice rod. Thorne Bros was nice enough to send me their 36" solid graphite Professional blank uncut, so it came to me at 45" and I cut them down to 40". I did hear that they were used in huts, but a sweeping hookset wasn't in order, but a few good cranks on the reel did the job with good hooks and a solid backbone on the rod.

http://www.thornebros.com/rodbuilding/solidcarbon.html

·
Registered
57 Posts
Thanks for the comments back on the rods... I've built several custom flyfishing rods - just never tought of building an ice fishing rod - may just try it.

By the way - the photos I've seen of the rods you built looked great - nice job.

·
Registered
6,422 Posts
zenlikefishing said:
Thanks for the comments back on the rods... I've built several custom flyfishing rods - just never tought of building an ice fishing rod - may just try it.

By the way - the photos I've seen of the rods you built looked great - nice job.
Thanks, ice rods are easy compared to fly rods, if you need info on sources for ice rod parts, let me know, I have looked around and found some decent parts that will ease the build process.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts