Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.denverpost.com/News/Local/ci_25878120/Officials-see-a-50-percent-chance

Whatcha think, experts of the G? Good? Bad? Could open a lot of previously untapped water. Effects on (not too many) Kokanee? Mysis? Full Pool,..GPS spots no longer good to go? ;) Fish (kokes),.washed down river? I remember back several years ago, when water was low pool. Had to adjust,...now,..adjust again as any self-respecting mac dude will do.
45 fow hot spots will be the 90 fow. Granby fluctuates so many years, should be interesting and another challenge.

·
Registered
16,634 Posts
Methinks many impoundments will be spilling b4 long.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
So by spilling does that mean the state is letting water out, or Is the reservoir overflowing, what is exactly happening?

·
Registered
385 Posts
There was a news report on 9 the other day saying something crazy like we will let 4x our annual water usage run away this year. Talking about some new reservoir above horsetooth... No mention of the SE one (Reuter Hess?) wich I thought was odd considering the subject matter

·
Registered
458 Posts
I know what spilling is but how does that effect fishing? I understand that it will mean the river is running high but other than high levels in the river below what does this do to fishing?

·
Registered
458 Posts
There was a news report on 9 the other day saying something crazy like we will let 4x our annual water usage run away this year. Talking about some new reservoir above horsetooth... No mention of the SE one (Reuter Hess?) wich I thought was odd considering the subject matter
It's a good thing. Let's us fulfill downstream water rights so we can keep more of what we can catch.

·
Registered
458 Posts
So by spilling does that mean the state is letting water out, or Is the reservoir overflowing, what is exactly happening?
Over flowing. Basically, dams all have a spillway built in for when there is just too much water to be released by normal means.

"Spilling" refers to the reservoir being so full that water is coming out of the spillway (as designed). "Overtopping" is a very bad thing which is when the water is going over the reservoir at places other than the spillway. Spilling is okay and the reservoirs are designed to handle it. Overtopping is bad and can lead to catastrophic damage such as the damn crumbling.

Cheesman has a very cool spillway that uses natural rocks:

Strontia Springs dam spilling:

An overtopped dam looks like this and is very bad news:

That is pretty much everything I know about dams and spilling.

My question, what does it do to fishing?

·
Registered
592 Posts
Wow, cool pics, I'd love to see Pueblo spill!

·
Registered
12,554 Posts
Ive seen water coming over the top of Pueblo when I was a kid. Not a ton of water.....but definitely coming over....when it was super windy from the west. It's a cool sight.

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've fished this bad boy (Granby), nigh on 28 years,..and have seen low pools, (circa 2005?,..where I should have went out to mark structure,.but didn't,, doh!), high water, and average levels. But I don't think we have seen water this high as this year will be. Have managed to catch fish (adapt >:D) most years. But this year could be epic!

Or not.

·
Registered
9,159 Posts
I flew over John Martin on the way home from Florida. The lake is loooow. I hope they see some of this water.

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
I've fished this bad boy (Granby), nigh on 28 years,..and have seen low pools, (circa 2005?,..where I should have went out to mark structure,.but didn't,, doh!), high water, and average levels. But I don't think we have seen water this high as this year will be. Have managed to catch fish (adapt >:D) most years. But this year could be epic!

Or not.
Looks like it actually spilled as recently as June 2011:

"Lake Granby spill June 2011 via USBR"

I'd like to go see it IRL!! Looks pretty badass all that power!!

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
I've seen it spill several times, although low water is better for the Kokanee, I like the high water fishing better.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts