Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was out of town luckily, after talking to a couple attendees that had to endure an hour and a half Mussel presentation from a designated speaker and try to stay awake.
The bad news is their pulling the No funding excuse and changing boat ramp policies to not open Stillwater until late April (in lieu of the normal routine of opening the ramps as soon as the lake opens) then it gets worse as they are planning to leave the Sunset Point ramp closed for an extra month until later in May.
What a crock of $%^!.
More Anglers/boaters in the State and we get less access and closed boat ramps.
Then there's talk of taking away our fall boating/fishing we've historically had up until ice season.
Enforcement issues were a concern they seem to not want to take seriously.
The good news is we're getting our Rainbows.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
dam western slope radicals had no clue where all this would end up. CPW continues to suck balls. At least you can go up to Blue Mesa and have a ramp. I know banks who have better hours than these morons. This should not be political and I apologize for my reference to the opposite which can be seen below.

Seems like kind of a simple issue to me for it to have gone on this long.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
dam western slope radicals had no clue where all this would end up. CPW continues to suck balls. At least you can go up to Blue Mesa and have a ramp. I know banks who have better hours than these morons. Keep voting for these libtards and you will get less of what you want and more of what you don't. Yes, I just got political.
x10, and so did I :mad: .

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
That’s bad news but not really surprising since the lake pretty much next door is now positive for ANS.

I have heard some sort of ANS inspection fee is likely next year, which I would really support if it lead to Increased operating hours. But I’m not naive enough to believe that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yah its tough to lose opportunities and resources and once lost hard to get back. The economies strong hopefully they get it together.

Btw. I know you guys miss the political section but don't bring it here please.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
If these db's wouldn't have shot themselves in the foot time after time (last significant hole in foot from anglers roundtables) volunteers would be doing inspections.

Dave I see where you are coming from and I hope the this is not a left right issue. This is a CPW sucks and they have no oversight issue.

The phones are to busy, the ramps are closed, loss of access due to not enough attention being spent on landowners. No money to keep the toilets flushing and the pavement going down. They are over stretched and poorly managed. Nothing different than most of us and our personal lives but at least we can make intelligent changes to cure bad decisions which for some reason CPW cannot.

·
Registered
11,843 Posts
Man, this sucks... I think politicizing it is dumb, we don't need to be divided on this subject because of that kind of crap. This has far more to do with CPW leadership than it does political party. They have screwed this up so bad. I've talked with some of the folks (a couple who are my friends) that are involved in the decision making and it's a very VERY frustrating conversation. I have no idea what to do or say at this point.

·
P I K E
10,018 Posts
News article posted on this matter more. It appears boats from Lake Powell coming into the state were found infested and confiscated! More reason to have border inspection stations! Also quagga mussel larva were discovered at Green Mountain explaining the warning on changes there I posted earlier in a thread.

http://cpw.state.co.us/aboutus/Pages/News-Release-Details.aspx?NewsID=6432

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
I hate to sound like an ass but it wasn't long ago on Terry wickstrom radio show that a guy from cpw was almost breaking his arm patting themselves on there backs on how they completely freed pueblo of mussels. green mountain may or may not be infected, not really sure these guys know what there looking for.. it may be just another ploy to put there lack of management on the backs of hunters and fisherman.

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
I don’t understand why they don’t put an inspection and deconn station at the I70 border.

Or why they don’t have a mandatory decontamination when leaving Powell.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I was at bullfrog last week , the mussels are thick , attached to every rock that gets wave action. the shore line sinks like a leach field .There is a great need for inspections lake Powell has a trillion mussels . I was pulled over by Utah DNR before Hanksville , he checked if I went trough the inspection.
I agree they need to decon you at Powell and Put up road blocks.
Dont let this **** ruin Colorado Lakes

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Just read a few articles from last fall on how they found the larvae stage mussels in Green mountain and how the extremists are asking Trump for money and planning to further restrict boaters across the state and how they most likely came from boats using a private ramp.
I'm calling BS they've been found in multiple reservoirs in the larvae stage but an adult mussel in Colorado has never been found.
I believe the larvae could just as easily been spread from lake to lake from our own CPW netting research boats that used to pull a dirty boat full of nets from Lake to Lake while being exempt from inspections. The one I was a volunteer working on was extremely dirty, crawdad remains throughout the boat (that came from a different lake) was leaking and the sump pump wasn't working, when I reached under to examine the pump I found it was blocked with several inches of mud blocking the intake.
Boats from out of state need to be checked at the border and our boat ramps need to be Open.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Boats from out of state need to be checked at the border and our boat ramps need to be Open.

Each state should want this type of program I agree, but very hard to enforce at state lines given the amount of roads easily accessible by smaller car-boat combos. And what if I come in with a clean boat and it gets infested in the state? What prevents dirty boats from contributing to this problem without local inspections. Tough subject. In this case, I’m not sure private citizens have enough self discipline and control to manage it without mandatory inspections. While humane, humans are lazy, ignorant, self entitled, and careless among other things. We wouldn’t be in this position had people not been one of the four previous characteristics.

As far as the hours and season dates, you gas guzzling motor using water polluting folks need to give everyone else some time to enjoy the peace and quiet of the lake for a small period of time before we have to be subject to and offended by the environmental disruptions caused by your modern machines.

Wow, I almost started to believe that crap myself.

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
As far as the hours and season dates, you gas guzzling motor using water polluting folks need to give everyone else some time to enjoy the peace and quiet of the lake for a small period of time before we have to be subject to and offended by the environmental disruptions caused by your modern machines.

Wow, I almost started to believe that crap myself.

In all the years I fished Granby late season I never saw a non motorized craft on the lake but I guess we need to close areas just in case they want to show up you know like millions of acres of wilderness areas.

Something like Mussels even though it's been proven they can't survive in the water there gives them a good excuse.

Doesn't really effect me personally as I fish Alaska and Hawaii mainly now.
If you guys are cool with losing your access so be it at least the fish will spawn in peace.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
I hate to sound like an ass but it wasn't long ago on Terry wickstrom radio show that a guy from cpw was almost breaking his arm patting themselves on there backs on how they completely freed pueblo of mussels. green mountain may or may not be infected, not really sure these guys know what there looking for.. it may be just another ploy to put there lack of management on the backs of hunters and fisherman.
I listen to Wickstrom... once in a while....
Nice show... BUT...
I'd like Him to be A "voice" for Us in these situations... Although, I think the show is "nice"......His show has way too much "FLUFF" in it... IMHO.
He should attempt to "tackle" some of these issues that face the CPW, and maybe get some feedback from the people these issues affect... US.
Even just a 20 min segment devoted to the REAL issues and problems in Colorado Parks Wildlife....
But, I realize His sponsors would probably cut His throat, If He offended anyone.

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
your right about Terry and his sponsors,i doubt he will ever tackle something as this controversial. probably dont really blame him since its his livelihood. I do agree with red leader a full mussel has never been found here in colorado, and please dont tell me its because of our excellent inspection stations remember there still are lakes like bodecker, lonhagler, lone tree that dont have inspections and dont have mussels. made me laugh a couple years ago that were inspecting for zinc foil or something like that, they were so sure it was an evasive weed bound and determine to ruin our waters, little did they know it was a natural occurring weed transported by birds. soon we may here motar rounds going off while we fish eracticating all those evil water fowl.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts