Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I fished Granby Saturday and Sunday with my five and six year old boys. Could not think of a better way to spend Father's Day weekend. We fished both days from about 11:30 to 2:00 pm (can not push for much more with kids this age). We trolled with downriggers from my 14 ft. boat between 40 and 55 feet down along the north shore of what is left of Arapaho Bay. We had consistent action both days on lakers/macks between 15 and 21 inches. On Saturday, we caught 7 fish ranging from 17 to 21 inches, which included both of my boys first lakers. Today, we caught more fish (about 10), but the average size was much smaller. We only caught 3 over 18 inches with the other 6-7 being between 14-16 inches. The lures that caught fish included a silver and black #5 jointed rapala, a yellow with orange spots hot-n-tot, and silvers flashers trailed by a small tri-color (orange, yellow, and white) needlefish. The larger fish seemed to hit the plugs better. Unfortunately, the transducer wire to my 15 year-old fishfinder finally gave out, so I did not have any way to mark fish or the depth. However, we still managed to get into some. The boys did not let Dad reel in a single fish either day, but I would not have wanted any other way.

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
skunked?

Thats usually the way it works with me, I cut the bait, bait the hooks, set the lines, and,,, my kids reel in the fish. I have to wake up really early if I want to "catch" any fish myself. Just say it ... skunked!

Nice Job!

C

·
0 Posts
Nice report. It probrobly feels better to see your kids reel in a fish than yourself

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
Good report!! I'm slackin, need to get up to Granby.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
1eye,

I am going to be out of town for a couple of weeks, but will be back in early July. I am going to be up there a few weekends after that. Maybe, we could hook-up early morning one weekend and troll for some lakers. My boat is pretty well equipped for nailing those lakers deep.

John

·
Registered
943 Posts
i fished there saturday with my kids i caught 4 stockers in about 6 hrs. i am so sick of people they see you catch a fish and they get right next to you. granby is a big lake there is no reason for people to be 5 feet apart. i caught the fish on worms and salmon eggs.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Dan,

I could not agree more. What a rush you get from seeing a kid catch a nice fish (especially at this age). I hope it sparks an interest in them that lasts a lifetime. I know it did with me!

John

1 - 10 of 10 Posts