Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fished Granby Friday afternoon and Saturday. Only got to fish for an hour Friday afternoon set up in the Dike 3 area over the usual hump (38 fow).

Landed (5) 18-21" inch lakers in an hour using red paddlebugs with mealworms and a white gitzit with sucker meat. As soon as we would get the lures a foot or two off the bottom the fish were responding and hitting as hard as I remember for Lakers. At times the zoom side off the Vex was completley lit up with fish. Saturday morning we returned to the exact spot and caught 2 in the first 5 minutes then it just went dead no fish on the Vex for 45 minutes. We moved across the hump about 100 yards set up again and marked a few fish. We caught 3 more lakers. Next thing you know this guy with 2 kids and a dog walks up to our hut, asks how the fishing is and starts drilling holes 10 feet away from us. Then he sticks his sonar in the water and creates a bunch of interference on my vex.

I didn't say anything we just packed up and moved. We ended up with a total of 6 fish on Saturday and left at 2:00 to fight the traffic home.

FC

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
makes ya wonder what people are thinking, you should've got out of your shelter after he was set up and started drilling holes all over aroud him and tell him you were just looking for the fish. works every time.

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
Fly Chucker,

Was that dog a yellow lab and did the guy have a hand auger and the two kids were they girls?

I talked to him and let him borrow my power auger when he saw I was catching fish in shallower water.

Was that you pretty much straight out from the dyke? My son and I were on the west end of the dyke. We started fishing a couple of hundred yards from the dyke then moved in to shallower water.

Dan

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dan,

That was the guy, 2 girls and a yellow lab. We were in the blue clam with the snowmobile. That spot is over 28-35 fow surrounded by deeper water It's on my GPS if you want the coordinates. Did you and your son do any good closer in?

FC

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
Looks like you were over the submerged ridge. We saw you when we got there at 7a. You must of been out at the butt crack of dawn. I caught a couple of fish in 35 fow, 15 feet up from the bottom. One on hunk of sucker on a bare hook with glowing bead on it, the other on white tube tipped with sucker meat. I was dead sticking the bare hook and jigging the tube. Got them about 15 minutes apart.

Dan

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That was us, I like to start early, it seems like the Lakers tend to be more aggressive just before and after sun up and just before sun down. It's interesting you were catching fish in the middle of the water colum and we were having to bang or jigs in the dirt to attract them. We never saw fish except for 1-4 feet off the bottom and caught everything on Paddle bugs and white gitzits... I'll drop you a line next time we are headed up to Granby. I've got a couple of other areas I need to get back to. They need a long cold snap to get rid of the slush.

Take care,

FC

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Redneck Wayne,

Welcome to the world of ice fishing. If you are new to the sport I would spend some time on this site. There are a lot of experienced ice fisherpeople that provide good information. At Granby I like to fish the dike 3, insperation point, and pump flats areas. Like you will read in most of the Granby reports peole tend to use tube jigs with bait on one pole and verticle jigging lures like a buckshot rattlespoon or a kastmaster on their second pole. For the most part the lake trout bite is very soft and you need to pay close atttention to your line especially on the way down through the strike zone. At least 1/2 of the lakers we caught last week hit our lures on the drop. Use lighter line (4-8 lb test) and invest in good electronics like a Vex FL-18. if you are seeing fish that are chasing and not biting don't be afraid to change lures often. If that doesn't work move to a new spot. I have fished the dike 3 area numerous times and found active fish 20 feet away from a spot that wasn't producing. Another Idea would be to use a guide like Bernie (a forum contirbutor) it's well worth the investment and you will learn a bunch in a hurry.

FC

1 - 8 of 8 Posts