Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know what the ice situation is at granby? I want to fish it tomorrow and just wanna make sure there isnt gonna be a ton of ice impeding me from the shore.

·
Registered
9,159 Posts
It's the "tweener" time. Lots of snow but if you can get to some Rocky shoreline.... The fishing can be fun as all hell.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
It's good and bad. Bernie had a good write up on it a while back. You can probably find it on his page.

For fishing it doesn't matter to me personally. Is what it is.

·
Registered
24,557 Posts
Steve can chime in on this...being full will it take the larger volume of water to cool off and freeze?...insread of new years maybe a week later?...just curious...

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Steve can chime in on this...being full will it take the larger volume of water to cool off and freeze?...insread of new years maybe a week later?...just curious...
That would make sense based on the simple physics and thermodynamics of it all. I would think it would take longer to freeze but on the flip side it should also take longer to thaw.

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Being full is more mass to freeze, I'm guessing New years or so.

As far as how the full lake affects the fishery, the stable high water should make for a successful Lake trout spawn along with a boom in Mysis shrimp populations creating a poor environment for Kokanee...
And the vicious cycle continues..

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
It's cool seeing the lake full this time of year and the pump canal froze up. Without pumping we should be having a great natural successful spawn on lake trout which will provide great fishing in years to come.

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
The fishery biologist, Jon Ewert? Increased limit with a one over caveat.

From what I understand, that's the reg now.

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
The fishery biologist, Jon Ewert? Increased limit with a one over caveat.

From what I understand, that's the reg now.
It was agreed at the meetings that If the limit on Lake Trout was raised there would be a 1 over 22" limit added, before it could go through it would need to be approved by the wildlife commission also..
I believe the results are no changes for Granby.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts