Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I contacted the Rifle Hatchery to touch base, give the manager a local report on conditions and find out when and how many Rainbows we are getting along with how many we got last year. Mark at the hatchery is always very happy to get a local condition report and give out information on stocking, when the conversation got to Catchable Rainbows he said he didn't have the info in front of him so I tried back a few other times, left a message and when he returned the call he told me I would need to get the info from Jon Ewert, the local biologist.

Here are my E-mails to Jon and his boss Sherman along with his response.

Trying to get info on Granby Rainbow stocks, I need last years and this years totals of Catchables and how many prior to Memorial day. No access issues this year and there will be hundreds of shore anglers. Mark at the Hatchery gets real weird when asked about Catchables?

No answer, second try;

Apologize Sherman and Jon. I'm trying to find out some info on Catchable Rainbows, Granbys shoreline needs them, it's not been good since we have had shortages and spring is here and the early Catchables stocked are a direct impact to the quality of the experience of all the upcoming shore anglers and tourists that come to visit and enjoy this beautiful spot. thank you very much, Steve Penley

Jon's response;

Mark at the hatchery gets "real weird" because the amount of calling you have done to the hatchery borders on harassment. He is under no obligation to provide you with any information at all; that is not his job. I have specifically instructed him to not provide you with any information. We do not typically provide detailed information to the public regarding stocking times, numbers, and locations in order to avoid "truck chasers". Granby will be stocked this spring.

My response;

Mark has been great and is always helpful, I appreciate the honest info he gives me, are you going to let me know how many catchables were stocked last year and how many this year? This isn't about truck chasers.
My first fish ever caught at 4 years old was a stocked Rainbow Trout in front of Stillwater campground in 1963. I hope this gives you a clue why it gets personal when you play games with Granby's Catchables.

This all started last year when I found out we had been shorted Catchable Rainbows at Granby for 3 years in a row.
When asked for an explanation all Jon would tell me is it was due to budget cuts.
Not accepting that answer I did some research and found out every other lake in the area got increases, some huge while only Granby got shorted.

Exposing this issue of mismanagement at Granby along with the fact they don't do or have any intention of any Angler census's, no studies on Rainbow, Brown or Sucker populations and only elaborate lake trout population studies at the meetings seems to have made me the bad guy and now their answer is to just withhold stocking information rather than being transparent, there were no meetings in the area this year.

This is year 5 since the Granby Catchable shortages that started in 2011, we were supposed to get an increase last year but I have no idea what we ended up getting.

Is this what we want from our fish managers that are supposed to be providing opportunities?

The Granby Chamber and others have made similar requests for the same info without replies.
Stocking Truck chasers are out of luck this year, LOL

·
Registered
428 Posts
Thats bs. Think I'll call Mr. Ewert and ask some questions.Should I tell him Steve says :wave:? Spoke with his counterpart Greg Policky last week, he answered all my questions and said to call back whenever to find out about stocking at his managed lakes. I get the state is not big on lake trout, but why pick on Granby?

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Total bs. If a guy cares, he borders harrasment? In a matter of weeks Granby's shores will be lined with anglers looking to catch rainbows but it doesn't sound too promising. That sucks. Thanks for your efforts and letting us know about this nonsense.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
dam steve calling you a stocker truck chaser ! i guess sherm has taken control of Ewert turn him into another Blue Mesa bio type.

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Spoke with his counterpart Greg Policky last week, he answered all my questions and said to call back whenever to find out about stocking at his managed lakes.
Greg Policky puts up very thorough reports on his lakes, keeps track of and studies all species not Just Lake trout populations and does census's on anglers to keep track of their success rates. An interesting thing he found out is that when they were just stocking Fingerling Rainbows at Turquoise the Angler success rates were very poor, now that they switched to Catchables the catch rates have improved dramatically.

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thats bs. Think I'll call Mr. Ewert and ask some questions.Should I tell him Steve says :wave:? I get the state is not big on lake trout, but why pick on Granby?
It makes no sense to me, Granby has many more shore anglers, tons more overall usage, better access and much more shoreline than places like Dillon that is less than half the size but in 2012 got more Catchables than Granby. Grand Lake got close to the same amount and is 1/14th the size. Williams fork about 1/4 the size got almost as many. In 2013 Green Mtn less than 1/3 the size of Granby got 25% more.

If it is due to Lake Trout being in the lake, WF and GM both have them and WF has a good population of large Pike also.
The Rainbows in Granby live along the shorelines in less than 20' of water and most of the year the Lakers are deeper.

At the meetings last year when all this was brought up Sherm told me they may have made some mistakes....Were the mistakes shorting Granby's Catchables or letting the information on stocking tally's out?

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
I appreciate the fact that you stay on top of this Steve.

Do you have suggestions on how we can work as a group to make a difference? Is USC dead?

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Hmmm... It seems to me that should be public information. Maybe get the press in there? Mr Willoughby?

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I appreciate the fact that you stay on top of this Steve.

Do you have suggestions on how we can work as a group to make a difference? Is USC dead?
[email protected]
[email protected]
Here is Jon and his bosses E-mails, ask them for the hatchery fish tally's from last year for Grand and Summit counties Reservoirs and how many Catchables they put Granby down for this year.

As far as USC there wasn't enough interest, I was and still am willing to donate the cost of getting it going but someone else would need to take it over, it seems like I have fought these kind of issues long enough. Don't need the aggravation.

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hmmm... It seems to me that should be public information. Maybe get the press in there? Mr Willoughby?
Yes it is public information, they can give it to us the easy way or the hard way, their choice.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This what I have emailed them, Feel free to reuse

I would like to know where I can find information regarding Hatchery fish tally’s for Summit and Grand counties Reservoirs, and in specific what was the Catchable count for Granby Reservoir, Willow Creek Reservoir, and Grand Lake for the past 5 years, and what is intended for 2015

I thank you in advance

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
This what I have emailed them, Feel free to reuse

I would like to know where I can find information regarding Hatchery fish tally’s for Summit and Grand counties Reservoirs, and in specific what was the Catchable count for Granby Reservoir, Willow Creek Reservoir, and Grand Lake for the past 5 years, and what is intended for 2015

I thank you in advance
Welcome to the forum Granby1, I have all the tally's through 2013 on the lakes you mentioned. We need them for 2014 and this years allotments.
Thanks for your help and interest, Steve.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Ewert sounds like a big hunka hunk !
Yo Ding Dong, when you make comments like this it makes all of us look bad and doesn't help us when we are trying to get them to actually use and consider our inputs and concerns. If they think we are a bunch of Dicks they are going to be dicks right back. They have the power to give us fisherman what we want or to be vindictive and [email protected]#ck us. So as a group of fisherman who actively post on this forum and fish the waters in question need to be polite and diplomatic as possible and not piss them off.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Yo Ding Dong, when you make comments like this it makes all of us look bad and doesn't help us when we are trying to get them to actually use and consider our inputs and concerns. If they think we are a bunch of Dicks they are going to be dicks right back. They have the power to give us fisherman what we want or to be vindictive and [email protected]#ck us. So as a group of fisherman who actively post on this forum and fish the waters in question need to be polite and diplomatic as possible and not piss them off.
Bingo!

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Jon used to be great about giving information requested and gave a huge amount to this forum.

The Catchable Rainbows are a touchy subject, in demand and not enough to go around.
What's not right is taking them from Granbys fair share for other areas.
We should take whatever avenues necessary to get answers and assure mistakes are corrected.

·
Registered
24,634 Posts
Wouldnt more effective pressure come from the area Chamber of Commerces and businesses since it would affect tourism? That seems to be the angle taken by the DOW and Gunnison when it comes to the lack of kokes in Blue Mesa...

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Wouldnt more effective pressure come from the area Chamber of Commerces and businesses since it would affect tourism? That seems to be the angle taken by the DOW and Gunnison when it comes to the lack of kokes in Blue Mesa...
The Granby Chamber is requesting the same info I am, the local fishing stores know about the problems and are keeping the pressure on.
It's funny how the local businesses and economy are a huge concern when it comes to Kokanee but not important when they thrive on Lake Trout and Catchable Rainbows.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts