Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering how the fishery is doing? I know two years ago people were catching a fair amount of 10 - 20 pounders through the ice. Does one have a decent shot at a big fish that big or bigger when they go or has it been a dink show (under 25") for a while now?

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
IceInTheVeins. said:
Hmmm I think I will go spend a week up there later this year. Is the big fish bite best early or later?
Ah, you should probably ask bernie. I've only been fishing for lakers for two seasons. So far, 27 between ten and just under thirty pounds through the ice, with eleven over twenty. I'm sure a lot of guys have caught many more, and could help you do better.

I know I'm hooked. Thanks to DID and zman for turning me on to lakers a couple of seasons ago. Best fighting fish in Colorado.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hobiecat said:
IceInTheVeins. said:
Hmmm I think I will go spend a week up there later this year. Is the big fish bite best early or later?
Ah, you should probably ask bernie. I've only been fishing for lakers for two seasons. So far, 27 between ten and just under thirty pounds through the ice, with eleven over twenty. I'm sure a lot of guys have caught many more, and could help you do better.

I know I'm hooked. Thanks to DID and zman for turning me on to lakers a couple of seasons ago. Best fighting fish in Colorado.
And that's all at Granby? Wow, I only caught a 15 and a 10 pounder at Blue last year in 7 trips, did hook a couple that had to be pushing 30 though.

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
IceInTheVeins. said:
And that's all at Granby? Wow, I only caught a 15 and a 10 pounder at Blue last year in 7 trips, did hook a couple that had to be pushing 30 though.
spending some time and money with bernie will i'm sure help a bunch...unless of course you wanna have close to the same results from granby as you have had at your "home" waters

·
Registered
24,509 Posts
I learned stuff from Bernie and Don that would of taken a lifetime in the laker world...and they have different methods...but both are incredibly successful...

Hobie has picked it up in a hurry and it has become a passion with him...one that he has become wildly successful at...he thinks through it and pays attention to detail like few I have seen...the biggest difference between a good to great angler and an average one...in my opionion...

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
jamiehughes said:
IceInTheVeins. said:
spending some time and money with bernie will i'm sure help a bunch...unless of course you wanna have close to the same results from granby as you have had at your "home" waters
Already was considering hiring him.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
you have got to be kidding. What is up with you guys and hiring guides for a day so you can go back and fish the same spots for years to come.
If I was a guide, I would refuse to take you out in fear that the next times I had clients, you would be sitting in my spots.

·
Registered
24,509 Posts
fordo said:
you have got to be kidding. What is up with you guys and hiring guides for a day so you can go back and fish the same spots for years to come.
If I was a guide, I would refuse to take you out in fear that the next times I had clients, you would be sitting in my spots.
There are lots of reasons for hiring a guide...

1) I have too many other fishing pursuits to add figuring lakers out to the soup...

2) I dont have a boat that is Granby worthy, cheaper to use someone elses...

3) I spend a ton of money on lures, equipment and books and time on the web. Why not get some on the job training. I do it for work, why not for what I love. Different perspectives are good, I dont know it all.

4) You might make a new lifelong friend. That alone is priceless.

5) Bernie is Robin Williams on steroids. Just from the comedy end it was worth it.

6) Bernie taught me to fish for lakers, Don doesnt like Bernie style, he is a disciple of Captain Jim Williams of syncronized jig lift and drop fame. Oil and water dont mix, Don just tolerates me on laker fishing trips and is heard to mutter...you fish with Bernie too much...SLOW DOWN!!!...bwahahahahaha....

7) I cheated and caught a 32 pounder with Bernie and got hate mail for paying my dues! It was great.

8) It is nice to be waited on ahd have Berine be your b*$(@@ for a day.

9) I dont fish Bernies spots when he is guiding nor do I talk to others about what was discussed, they can hire him like I did. I dont know where we went or what we used, he blind folded me. I liked it!!... :D

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
6) Bernie taught me to fish for lakers, Don doesnt like Bernie style, he is a disciple of Captain Jim Williams of syncronized jig lift and drop fame. Oil and water dont mix, Don just tolerates me on laker fishing trips and is heard to mutter...you fish with Bernie too much...SLOW DOWN!!!...bwahahahahaha

ROFL , yup the diciples of Jimmy cannot handle anything different, but there are allot of ways to skin a cat!! had a real funny day on the Gorge with a couple of Jims students, sucked a 25lber fish right off a one of the disiples jig from 15 feet away and they call me spastic LOL

Hobie the godfather is going to half to talk to you about letting that cat out of the Bag,,,? looks like Ice will be fishing with GOFINDYOUROWNDAMLAKETROUTLAKETHECDOW KILLLEDBLUEMESATHEBASTARDSBUTYOUCANFISHRIGHTNEXTTOMEGOODOLLDBUDDY.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts