Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Could find absolutely no information on the event other than
May 20-22                           Family Fun Fishing contest
http://www.grand-county.com/Granby,_Colorado.aspx an events page that doesn't specify the year (found another such with a midweek date -- guessing it was for another year). Can you fill us in or post URL?

Wondering about contest entry fee, HQ location, docks in, water levels, etc...

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know right now that it si the 20-22. On the 22 it is only half day becasue the afternoon is reserved for prizes and winners. the boat ramps are in the water. dont know the water level. i will have to check that out. our friend was out there last weekend trolling and caught a ton of fish. there was one big rainbow i will have to find the sizes on. i believe it was 29 pounds! I will have my whole family there. we will be camping in our fifth wheel. our boats are being rebuilt so i get to bank fish. :mad: i will post back later with more info.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
GRANBY CONTEST
As it did last year, the Granby Chamber of Commerce is hosting a ?Family Fun Fishing Contest? Friday through Sunday morning, May 20-22, at Granby Reservoir, Grand Lake and Shadow Mountain Reservoir. The entry fee is $30 per adult angler and youths under 18 free.

Fee-paying adults will be entered in a raffle for seven prizes, the top one being a 10-foot portaboat with an electric motor. There also will be five prizes, with a $500 first place, for the heaviest fish caught in each of four categories: (1) lake trout and splake, (2) brown, rainbow and cutthroat trout, (3) a grand slam of lakers, browns or rainbows, and kokanee salmon, and (4) family teams.

A new rule in this year?s contest is that anglers will only be able to enter lake trout under 18 inches in length. Richard Crager of Budget Tackle in Granby explained that this rule is designed to preserve trophy-sized fish in the three reservoirs, even though anglers are legally allowed to keep one fish bigger than that.

?Although there is some concern about lake trout eating too many kokanee,? said Crager, ?there?s also a school of anglers that likes to fish for big mackinaw. They?re concerned about people keeping too many big macks instead of releasing them to grow even bigger. We set the 18-inch rule to encourage catch-and-release of big lakers at least for the duration of the contest.?

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There are also teams and family groups. A family must constist of one child and one adult. The teams must be specified when you register and cannot be changed once you register. Teh prices are still the same for every person. I talked to our friend who went up wednesday night. He said the fish are biting and he has caught a ton of fat short ones (species varies) and a few long fat ones. The contest started 30 minutes before sun-up this morning. good luck to all who arent there yet.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts