Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

granby sat 5-20 pics added

2K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  Spin Dr. 
#1 ·
me and bass boat jockey hit granby on saturday. total 3 macks all 19 1/2" 1 rainbow 14" 1 koke 12" the first two macks caught in 135 fow on white tubes tipped with sucker. the koke and trout were caught trolling with little cleos and the final mack was caught trolling leadcore with a chartruese inline spinner. all in all a great day. i got a question for you boat experts when there is any kind of wind how do you keep your boat in one spot without an anchor when you are fishing really deep water. these fish were concentrated on little humps. any help would be appreciated ;D

pics added

See less See more
#5 ·
fished Friday w/ my son. 7am-7:15 pm. 15 macks, exploring mostly. first rod out caught fish but did not do much for hours at a time. trolling downriggers 40-65 feet while marking a lot of fish seemed to work best. all were under 22 inches, but all pretty close. chartreuse and green that day, but it just depends. I was using any plug type lure at slow troll speeds. a drift sock or two might help, but jigging in the wind w/ big depth is frustrating, however when the fish school up, which they are not now it will work much better. the cool thing about moving along slow is you cover water, rather than sort of ice fishing.

#6 ·
Good job Afisherman!

Re boat control in deep water, Bernie stated the obvious solution, a marker bouy will make it easier (visual reference) The flat marker bouys are great for deep water - you need lots of line on the bouy, and they don't release all that line when you use them in shallower water.

Another option is a big drift sock or two, it helps slow the boat down, the biggest you can get. They can't be too big for this purpose, in my opinion. You still need the marker bouy though, its hard to watch the GPS, fishfinder, and to fish at the same time if there is not the visual on the water.

I know this was not an option, but anchoring in 150 feet of water is pretty do able, (marker bouy, good anchor, and 300 - 400 feet or more of rode).

One other option, don't jig it, troll it, down riggers, short lines off the down rigger, set at the height of the top of the hump and just buzz around it in tight circles with the bait of choice.

#7 ·
I currently don't have an electric trolling motor so I have to be a little bit creative, I anchor or use a drift sock.

My last boat had a bow mount and I found it difficult to stay on a really small spot using the GPS alone. At slow speeds the direction arrow was all over the place. I had to look at the map and say now I am 50 feet south east of my spot, I need to go north west 50 feet, look then up and say that is north west, and motor in that direction. I think I needed more practice.

#9 ·
As Bernie and Don mentioned, I would also use an electric in this situation if you have one and, of course, some sort of remote control is a must. If you can keep your boat pointed directly into the current and find the speed that keeps you in the same spot (i.e. match the speed of the motor to the speed of the current) you should do the best you can. If you have something like an autopilot it would be even better as it automatically adjusts direction for the changing currents but you will still have to watch your speed. I think in any event that it is a difficult prospect to stay on target in heavy winds.

TALO is undoubtedly a master of using the other techniques without an electric trolling motor and so I would listen to her!

#11 ·
I was there on Saturday, with my son. We were in the canoe with outriggers and electric motor. We mostly hung around the shoreline and the islands. The water really drops off fast in many places and we found lots of rainbows in the 10-14 inch class. Off Deer Island my son got a very fat, 18" brown on a Mister Twister, chartreuse, in about 6' of water. I picked up a couple of larger rainbows on flatfish. We would motor up to a point on the island and then let the wind drift us back while we cast, used the motor and fishfinder to follow the contours. Some thunderstorms started building about noon and big gusts followed. We saw them coming and headed back to the shoreline near Inspiration Point, got into a big bunch of dumb rainbows, hitting Tas Devils, silver spoons, and flatfish. No Macks, but marked something in 120' as we were being blown back across the lake. Next time....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.