Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday,..decided to try last ice trip of the year? Maybe. Best access of the year so far, on foot,..hard frozen top layer of snow to spot. On the ice and fishing at 9AM. Love laker hours.
40-60 fow,..however,..47 fow was where we wound up and stayed. Combination ice/slush/ice/slush and then prob a good 12+ inches ice. Two days after the full moon, which we find almost always is good. Bluebird day. Sun out, and warm. CAUTION! Do as I say, and not what I do. Wear sunscreen!! I never learn.
Sunburned face,. My right hand, facing the sun all day, is blistered. That sun is brutal at that altitude, and reflections off ice is the same. Yes, I had sunscreen in my bag!!
Access off lake was not bad, altho a small slush layer on ice, and breaking thru on snow to the truck. Should be good for another week or so, but warmer weather coming,..so use caution!

Oh yeah, the fishing. :smile: Typical for a feeding flat,...coming thru in waves. 15 minutes nothing, then awesome action. I'm not the run and gun type,..I like to be in an area that the fish come to me. Maybe it's my age,..I can respect the type of fishing some of my friends do. Go all over the lake,..fish a spot for a half hour, and move. Fish,..and move. And they catch fish. And big ones. But we have too. To each his own.
My son outfished me again,over 2 to 1..which is how it is supposed to be, isn't it? And I landed 14. (my old motocross # :cool:) He was on fire, and fished from the shanty. ??? NO SUNBURN! Smarter than his Dad. Two 17 inchers kept.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Good advice about that sun and reflection! I have roasted myself a couple of times up there! Sunscreen is a must even if the temperature is not that high. I fished the Gasaway Ridge on Saturday with the only love shown to the 13 yr. old I took up for his first outing. Your younger guests should always be the ones catching fish.

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Lakes changing quickly, Rainbow bay is opening up along with some holes opening here and there,just saw an Osprey and a bald eagle in some mid air bomber action pretty cool. Fishing good, I'll be out a few more times mornings only, gotta play it safe.

·
Registered
9,164 Posts
Lakes changing quickly, Rainbow bay is opening up along with some holes opening here and there,just saw an Osprey and a bald eagle in some mid air bomber action pretty cool. Fishing good, I'll be out a few more times mornings only, gotta play it safe.
Told ya. But no, the fat guy don't know anything.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Hope it opens faster, I got a room booked for the 10th and 11th! Im done with ice for the year its time for the outboards!

·
Registered
9,164 Posts
Just like Rodney used to say "I don't get no respect"
It's all good... I shoulda gone up to granby this last weekend but ya live and ya learn.

Leadville and the lakes above will still be great for a few more weeks.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
It's all good... I hat gone up to granby this last weekend but ya live and ya learn.

Leadville and the lakes will stillbe great for a few more weeks.
If you would just listen to me, you would have a pair of cable chains and you would still have your nice little 32" eagle claw that you graciously gave away in heeney that wil never get used(they got booted out of the inn) And you could have fished granby based on what I told you

·
Registered
9,164 Posts
If you would just listen to me, you would have a pair of cable chains and you would still have your nice little 32" eagle claw that you graciously gave away in heeney that wil never get used(they got booted out of the inn) And you could have fished granby based on what I told you
Sounds like you're bitter that you're going to owe me breakfast, fordo!

Adrian got booted out? That explains why they didn't answer the door when I stopped by to drop off some replacement kitty litter that I owed them. Hope they enjoy the ice rod.... I paid 7 for it and have many more in my basement.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts