Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heard a rumor the other day that D.O.W. wants the lakers gone from granby so they can have more kokes for thier eggs. Anyone else hear that?

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Its not a rumor its true... but they dont want them gone, they want the larger ones that eat the kokes gone so that the kokanee population can take hold and once there is a large kokanee population the smaller lakers will grow to trophy size. However there is a 4 lake trout limit on Granby still, just no size or slot limit.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
seems like they are tryin to manipulate the natural cycles of the whole system .I think if it wasn't for the amount of underwater structure in that lake it would end up like Dillon.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Granby is more productive than dillion. Plankton abounds there when in comparison to dillion. That is why there are still some nice kokes at granby, even though the mysis compete heavily for the same plankton. At dillion, the mysis rule and consume most of the plankton, thus you are left with small kokes. And yes, that isn't a rumor, it's fact. They want the same thing in pretty much all colorado waters in fact. It's even worse at blue mesa, although it doesn't have to be because biologically the lake can, does, and always did support the two species in relative harmony. The lakers are now consuming many perch in big blue so everything may be changing for the better or worse, nobody is sure yet. The lakers focusing more on the perch will give the kokes some slack, but since perch are not as high in calories as a koke is, the laker's body condition will probably suffer. Of course, this is all speculation. Granby had a forage crash; blue never has. Epic, they never want big lakers back at granby. They want it to be a koke producing machine.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
TroutFishingBear said:
Epic, they never want big lakers back at granby. They want it to be a koke producing machine.
I guess it all depends which biologist you talk to then, cause I was told that they just want to get a large base of Kokanee and then they will "more then likely put a slot limit for mackinaw".

D

·
0 Posts
ePiC said:
TroutFishingBear said:
Epic, they never want big lakers back at granby. They want it to be a koke producing machine.
I guess it all depends which biologist you talk to then, cause I was told that they just want to get a large base of Kokanee and then they will "more then likely put a slot limit for mackinaw".
Don't believe everything you hear, ePic. I hope you're right, but I'm not holding my breath.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
According to one Mr. Pat Martinez, the mastermind behind all of this, lakers get bigger and have better body conditions without a slot limit.

D

·
0 Posts

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
Don is right, it has been beaten to death! I think the cold one is logging with TFB's computer to start up the old stuff again.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks everyone for the info. ultimately as numbers of fishermen increase so should the awareness of management of our fisheries. I am just becomeing aware of what a tough job the d.o.w. has on thier hands keepin people happy and obtaing thier own objectives. hopefully people will start speakin up to the d.o.w. I know I will ! after all, the fish and wildlife belong to US !! I have a one and a half year old grand son and I hope he has better big fish oportunities than we do now.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts