Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I'm planing on hitting Granby in the next couple of weeks. That is is if ice conditions permit. Can ayone tell me if it's iced? Good/bad ice? Thanks a lot.

·
Banned
1,157 Posts
still all open water, no ice. PM ROCKYMOUNTAIN OUTFITTERS, he has a shop up in grandby, also talked to fishingal, she was up there yesterday i believe. fishexplorer still says no ice.

·
Registered
67 Posts
the only ice on granby is the verry back of arapaho bay just off the bridge to the boat ramp.... rest is open water. drop in below the bridge and you will see our holes from last week. can get some bows...

·
Registered
297 Posts
jamiehughes said:
It was -16 when I drove thru there on my way to walden this morning,so if that keeps up it shouldn't be long.
it was cold as t!ts today... if green mtn got lidded this weekend, granby better be.

I'm more stoked on willies though..

·
Registered
64 Posts
captain shuyak said:
had my boat out there yesterday, finally getting cold again bays are just starting to freeze.
Just curious, did you notice surface water temperature? This is assuming you had sonar hooked up.

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
MB said:
captain shuyak said:
had my boat out there yesterday, finally getting cold again bays are just starting to freeze.
Just curious, did you notice surface water temperature? This is assuming you had sonar hooked up.
it was 35 degrees, the same temp as the last time I was out around the first part of Dec. strange weather and warm again this morning, looks like we are about a month late.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Is it just me or is Granby fuller than it's been in years? I recognize places we've fished from shore before are well underwater. Heat capacity of lake must be just nuts about now - just don't it want to freeze then draw down and get like Gross or Green Mtn at end of season... creepy.

Btw: captain shuyak how was fishing?

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
fishingal said:
Is it just me or is Granby fuller than it's been in years? I recognize places we've fished from shore before are well underwater. Heat capacity of lake must be just nuts about now - just don't it want to freeze then draw down and get like Gross or Green Mtn at end of season... creepy.

Yes fuller then normal, the pumps have been down a lot this year and the high water hasn't changed much, I'm sure thats one of the reasons the ice is late, with all the snow so far this year the lake will spill next spring and this will be the first time in 10 years or so. We should get a successful spawn on lake trout this year due to the water staying high and less chance of eggs going high and dry. The fishing was slow and I got skunked but just wanted to be out there on the boat on a sunny Christmas day.

·
Registered
64 Posts
fishingal said:

Last year was my first full season of ice fishing so I don't know much about prior years, but at this date last year it was 17 feet below full pool and today it is only 8 feet below full pool. I do remember that the hump off Dike 3 was above the ice two years ago in mid January.

Mark

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Gee... when was it last actually full? Wouldn't you expect something to break? :eek:

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
just wanted to be out there on the boat on a sunny Christmas day.
Good enough reason right there. We try to fish every Christmas since we got married. Or at least the day after Christmas.

This year we went up to Grand Lake. Yes, there is ice up there that's safe to fish. Close enough.
Best to Jim at Rocky Mtn. Outfitters for the info and a tow out on the snowmobile. We got on fish.
I'm in the process of putting together a report.

Glad you had a good day weatherwise. That was such a treat. Clear and cold and sunny. No wind. Yay!

·
Registered
24,509 Posts
captain shuyak said:
fishingal said:
Gee... when was it last actually full? Wouldn't you expect something to break? :eek:
It was full this past summer but didn't quite spill, when it does next summer it'll be a nice 300' waterfall.
Move over Niagra Falls...there's a new honeymoon destination and its in the west!...

·
Registered
67 Posts
lake is frozen. there are people fishing but dont head out to far. fishing is good just be carefull.... 2-4" of ice in the bays and about 2'' in the middle.

those numbers are from the other day. by saturday or sunday it should be good and safe..

1 - 20 of 27 Posts