Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not the "G", but another g lake. Met up with jclay at 2 hours before the crack, and after a slow, snowy drive up, arrived in Granby around 6:45 AM. 22 degrees :mad:. ( cmon, -20.) Hit Budget Tackle, which I always love going into, bought some good stuff ;D , and visions of mackinaw dancing in our brains, hit a breakfast place in Grandlake, can't remember name, but run by an English lady. Always good to have a full tummy when hitting the ice. Dropped in at RockyMountainOutfitters, and bought a couple 1/2 oz jigheads. Dude running the place is an awesome guy. Lots of good info, gave us a couple mysis jigs, and even offered us a ride out on the lake,..but being like we are, declined, and headed out on our own. (we are, after all, professionals. ) Yeah, right. ::)
Anyway, slow day, but got a good mack-icefishing day in, which is always good. We moved, and moved, and moved. 5 fish apiece, with Jeff again taking the big of the day, a nice fat 23-24 incher. Kept 2, 16 -18 inchers. Chartruese tubes only thing they were even remotely interested in, (they were down there, but stuffed., judging by the stomach contents, loaded with shrimp and a few kokanee eggs.)

C'mon, Granby!!! Ice forming in a few bays, and off Sunset Ramp, but mostly open. We did not check Abay.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Nice report Ed. I was heading there today and at the last minute decided to head to Antero instead. The fishing was good at Antero, but I was really wanting to chase some lakers. I'm glad you guys had some luck. I've caught some very fat 23-24 inch lakers out of Grand, so I am guessing Jeff's fish was a very nice one.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
I messed up my right arm lifting something the other day, so typing hurts at this point.. so thanks to Ed for posting a report. Great to fish with you Ed.

Here's my fish...nice colors....

Thanks for driving! Posting my laker pics from the south park lake as well.

j

·
Registered
701 Posts
The Macks that come out of Grand are, for whatever reason, rusty in color. Very pretty fish. The place you ate breakfast in is called the Fat Cat Cafe. Awsome breakfast buffet on weekends and some of the best tasting huevos rancheros I've tasted. Whenever in town we always eat there. Good job on the macks! How thich was the ice and were they running sleds on it?

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ice was about 6-7 inches. What was once slush a week ago, is now frozen hard, with a nice layer of snow on top. Yes, there were snowmobiles on the ice, open water in the middle.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Where did you guys get on the lake? I was up there the other day and couldn't find a decent spot to access the lake.

Adam
P.S. I don't have a snowmobile yet.

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the nice replies,..I appreciate it.

AdamT[/quote said:
Where did you guys get on the lake? I was up there the other day and couldn't find a decent spot to access the lake.

Adam
P.S. I don't have a snowmobile yet.
Adam, you can access the lake at the marina, which is on the far east side of town. We entered on the west side,.where the canal comes in.

Rad said:
Jeff told me you guys were going. Glsd you got a few. I got mack fever big time!
Time to move back to mack country. ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts