Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My team and I hit Grand Mesa this past weekend, all of the 9K-9.5K ice is gone, although still big snow shelves on the sides of the lakes that are shaded. We hiked back and hit a few different lakes we had never hit before...The forage was abundant lots of freshwater shrimp, leeches, aquatic worms, and other bugs! Standing in the shallows, you would pull out huge groups of shrimp stuck to your legs!

After 7 1/2 hours of fishing both the lakes we hiked too, we didn't get a single nibble, or even see a single fish rise!
We hiked out (ROUGH) and hit one of the main Mesa Lakes that was on our To-Do list...luckily we found a bunch of really active Brookies and Bows!

Had a fun adventure out there with the team, got some fun good drone shots and caught some salamanders too LOL! Hope you guys enjoy the video!!

Can't wait to start hitting the 10K Stuff soon!

Attachments

·
Registered
387 Posts
I wonder if that first lake winterkilled? Sometimes lakes that are prone to winterkill also grow huge fish when they make it back in there. Less competition and alot of food. I have caught 16" plus Brookies several times out of lakes that occasionally winterkill.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wonder if that first lake winterkilled? Sometimes lakes that are prone to winterkill also grow huge fish when they make it back in there. Less competition and alot of food. I have caught 16" plus Brookies several times out of lakes that occasionally winterkill.
Possibly, we have talked to several people that are old timers from the area...None of them have fished that since the really early 2000's. I guess it used to be outstanding. The reservoir isn't very shallow and per people telling me, seems that if there are salamanders there won't be many fish. There could also just be low numbers and they were fat and sitting on the bottom not eating anything lol.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts