Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I fished the Grand Mesa Mesa today it was clear and in the high 40s. The brooktrout are spawning and are stacked up in the inlets. Here is a pic of a few I kept. I caught them with a small brown tube jig with 4lb test line.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
NICE...how big were they? they look like decent brookies....

I was elk hunting one time down south and me and my buddy walked by a small lake and saw the biggest brookies ive ever seen stacked up in an inlet...i mean the smallest was like 16 or 17 inches. It was this time of the year too, so they were in spawn mode...i almost gave up hunting to go back and fish, if it wasnt so far away id definatly go back there. I love big brookies....but then again, who doesnt?

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Rottal said:
NICE...how big were they? they look like decent brookies....
These were around 12". I want to get back up there and hike into some of the remote lakes where 3 -4 lb brookies can be caught. The only problem is there is a very short window of time up on the Grand Mesa this time of year. There could be 3' of snow on top by this time next weekend! Its suppose to be nice the next couple of days, cough, cough...I may be comming down sick! ;)

F

·
0 Posts
I havent caught a really nice brookie in years....the last nice one I caught was in lake estes out of a boat....17 inches ....

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
I only caught 1 brookie this year and he was a monster 6 inches.

·
Registered
16,571 Posts
Cool pics,dude. Pretty fish specially when theyre all black like that!

·
Registered
24,511 Posts
Those are absolutely beautiful...like Slayer said...so dark almost black...I bet they tasted even better...

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
zman said:
Those are absolutely beautiful...like Slayer said...so dark almost black...I bet they tasted even better...
I fried them up in some bacon fat. They were excellent! ;)

·
Registered
943 Posts
pork fat it's a beautiful thing ;D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts