Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went out today for a couple hours. My goal is to hit at least 6 different places before I go back to a place. Looking to learn the area. I wanted to hit the Grand Mesa area. My first plan was to hit Island lake. Got there, and w/o a snowmobile or at least a pair of snowshoes, the hike would be a tough one. I opted to head back down to Ward Creek (thanks Westsloper for the info). I journeyed out to the lake and found some deep snow. Up to my thighs in quite a few spots. Once on the lake the walking was easy. Drilled a hole and found 9'. Wanted a bit deeper but started fishing anyway. Got bit right away. Nothing huge, but small trout! Continued fishing in the same hole for nearly 2 hours. They were taking everything and anything. I stopped tipping my jigs and still took it all. Ice was no problem. Nearly a foot of hard slush on top of 12"-14" of good ice
I counted to see how long it would take to catch one.
Here is the vex just as I dropped the jig down.

here is the vex lit up

here is the result in honestly 20 seconds!

almost all bows with a couple of these little guys

and one cut bow. (not the best pic)

Beautiful place to be today. Clear blue skies and the lake to myself.

Great lake to take the kids. Literally Fish constantly. The kids won't get board! And it's just over a half hour from the door step!

·
Registered
230 Posts
love fishing the mesa. its been awhile but i used to go in and catch 3-4 lb brookies. usually found them in less than 2 fow. its easy to get lost up there if you start hiking into lakes. take a gps... wish i lived closer. good job on finding them !

·
Registered
24,568 Posts
love fishing the mesa. its been awhile but i used to go in and catch 3-4 lb brookies. usually found them in less than 2 fow. its easy to get lost up there if you start hiking into lakes. take a gps... wish i lived closer. good job on finding them !

About carrying a gps...Bernie sold me on one better...I do it most places now with the ground blizzards that can roll in like at granby...when you park your vehicle mark it on your gps...I have done boat ramps at night when it was stormy too and that one has saved me a few times...

Nice work Jim!!

·
Registered
6,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Fund raiser brunch on Sunday at one for the Hothckiss fire dept. Best vittles one can find, all funds go to fire station. $40.00 for grass fed local prime rib...etc.
you gonna be there?
Sounds like something the family might just do!

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Great job BR1!
Looks like the west slope is working out well for you.

·
Registered
902 Posts
I think I will start carrying my gps.its saved my ass night riding sand dunes when there's no moon and lots of clouds. When I got stuck at antero I almost wondered if the wind would get so bad I wouldn't be able to find the truck.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts