Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Figured I'd throw some info out regarding the Mesa. More of an information report rather than a picture report of the monsters we caught. :D

The lakes are all but open now. Drove by last Monday and most of the upper lakes had half ice/slush. Yesterday, all but one pond was completely open. We decided to hit multiple lakes. Some that we could drive to and some we could walk into. The walking lakes were a no go for us. Too much snow on the ground. We weren't prepared. So we hit a couple lakes along the road. I really wished we would have brought up the dory and rowed just one lake or 2, rather than fighting the shoreline crowds. I just realize this was one of the free weekends. I just assumed the lack of lakes was the reason there were so many people at what was accessible.

Anyway, most of the back roads are still closed. We couldn't get passed Eggelton. That was as far back as we made it. The fishing was OK at best. The boys caught a handful of 10"-12" bows. Nothing to brag about. The weather was about 65* and windy, perfect escape from the heat. Didn't see the suckers spawning. Figure another 2 weeks or so, and the sucker fest should be on.

I'd bet another 2 weeks will also give solid access for most of the water.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
I'm hitting up Taylor Park for the first time. Headed there in like an hour. I guess cottonwood pass is closed so we have to go though gunny? I'll be sure to report

·
Registered
485 Posts
i think I made a report about two weeks ago on the lakes up on the mesa. When we drove over from the south side and down the north side, the only lakes open at that time were some of the lower lakes on the north side just above the ski area. Lots of snow still on the ground and all the higher lakes were still iced over (not sure how thick, just knew I wouldn't go out on them nor was there any shore fishing to be had). Sounds like some of the snow and ice has receded a bit. Hopefully not too much longer and all the lakes will be reachable and fishable. There are a couple of the Cottonwood Lakes that I would like to fish for brookies and the chance for a Grayling.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts