Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
   Beaver lake was on fire this weekend. I got there at noon on Saturday, fished Sunset lake and caught and released about 20 stocker bows in ONE HOUR, I am not kidding at all. I was using a rainbow TB and received a strike every cast. Water temp. was 51 deg. Then the weather started to change, so I went to the cabin and got situated. Went to Beaver and caught another 12, well above stocker size bows and one very decent sized brown. It rained the entire rest of the day.
   Woke up to 4" of fresh powder on Sunday, I was on Beaver by 7:00am, and the weather started again. This time I was using a home made lure, copper willow leaf about 3" long. Water temp dropped to 47 deg. I absolutely hammered the fish. I was catching very nice size bows and a nice brown every now and then. I saw every type of weather one could imagine. It snowed, sleeted, rained, hailed, thundered, and fogged up all day long, really cool.
   I had to leave on Monday by 10:00am, so I could only fish for a while. This weather was perfect but the fishing was not for most people. I caught three more browns with the biggest beginning around 18", the smallest is in the picture. I did not have my camera for the first two so I went and got it from the cabin but only caught one more. The total fish count was 53 bows, 1 brook and 4 browns. I use barb less hooks so I probably lost twice as many as I actually caught. I would say Ice off was less then 3 weeks ago, I could not have been any bit luckier.... Pope

·
Registered
16,571 Posts
Nothing like ice-out trout bro! Good job,nice brownys. Me an my bro have a saying:"Luck has very little to do with it". Meaning you hit it right cauce you picked it right!

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
I love those type of trips!!! Good job.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys, it really was a blast. Mesa is about 5 hours from Denver, 40 or so miles east of Grand Junction, right up from Powder horn ski area on State road 65. You can keep going on 65 to hit Island Lake and above, but there was still ice and snow covering most of those waters

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
rainbow TB ? I was guessing Thomas Bouyant, but it doesn't look like it in photo. What is it? I'm going to have to pick a couple up. Real nice photos Pope. Actually made me miss the snow.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I only fished the TB (Thomas Bouyant) the first day, I used all of my home made lures the rest of the time. The browns really liked the copper blade lure you see in the picture.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The best fishing I have ever had was when I was living in the Boat. I would fish the ox-bows on the yampa towards Hayden ( thanks Eric) when the snow season started. It would snow so hard that I would wear my ski goggles with a bunch of cat crap in them, so I could see. Man it would snow sideways but those giant bows and huge pike would just go off. Man I miss that..... I hate living in the city!!!! :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
NICE!!

For some reason, no matter how big or small, the sight of a brown trout always has amused me. Great post!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts