Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for something to do this afternoon, so the boys and I headed out on a recon mission. We headed up the Grand Mesa to see if there was any open H2O, and how much snow was left. Once we got to the Spruce level the snow was found. Not everywhere, but plenty in a lot of areas. The 1st lake (Ward Lake I think) was pretty much capped with thick heavy slushy ice. Probably could still get out early in the morning, but I was in no mood to venture out on it this afternoon. We continued up the mesa a bit and found all capped lakes. Really Ward was the only lake with any fishable open water. Mostly at the inlet. On our way back down we did stop and fished a small open pocket. Kind of sketchy because the it is pretty steep, and there is about 4 feet of snow up from the water line. The issue was that the snow continued into the open water about 1'-2'. The little guy stepped into the snow up to his crotch, and really no bottom. Just into the lake. He was fine but kind od scared me a bit. So we Casted little Kast Masters and Super Dupers from the dirt line and hauled what we did catch up the bank a bit. Any way we managed 2 small browns and 3 small bows. Fun for a couple hours of driving and fishing recon.

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
Good job gettig out and exploring!! Got a few fish as a reward :)

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Cool man.

Glad to hear that it is thawing out , well some thawing.

Thanks for the heads up

1 - 6 of 6 Posts