Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fished Williams Fork Saturday and Sunday 5/21 & 5/22. Very crowded - most people I've ever seen up there. Most appeared to be concentrating on the flats. A bit slow but we managed to hook a few rainbows and a couple kokanee. Best success was on the south side of the inlet on spinners and spoons (we were casting not trolling). Water temp was about 53 degrees. Water level is almost full pool (within about 5 feet).

Monday we ventured over to Stagecoach. Fished for about 4 hours before the big thunderstorm. My dad caught a hammer handle sized pike on a trout colored Tazmanian Devil on 4lb test. We also caught lots of rainbows ranging from 12 - 14 inches on spinners and spoons. Mostly trolling on the wakeless side of the lake. Went back to Williams Fork to camp for the evening. Water temp was about 48 degrees.

Tuesday we went over to the Grand Lake area. Was raining pretty hard and we had a pretty muddy day. Decided on a day off with showers, shopping, etc. Spent the evening on Stillwater Pass (County Road 4).

Wednesday and Thursday we fished Granby pretty hard. Limited it to Arapaho Bay and Columbine Bay. Dad caught a 24 inch Mack (tried to get a picture but it wiggled its way back into the deep). Big fish were registering on the fish finder in 40 f.o.w. We caught the mack trolling a crankbait. Also caught a couple of rainbows and kokes on spinners. Kokes are stacked up and hitting spinners aggressively - especially early in the morning. Columbine Bay was muddy (from the rain the day before). Water temp on Weds. was 44 and went up to 48 on Thurs. Water level appeared to be rising daily. Concrete ramp is a little shallow for larger boats - still safe to launch on the gravel.

Friday and Saturday we decided to have some fun and fished Shadow Mountain Reservoir. We went up to Grand Lake for a tour and troll around but didn't even get a strike. Back at Shadow Mountain, we lost count on both days catching kokanee, browns, and rainbows ranging from 6 to 16 inches. All caught casting spinners with most success on Panther Martins. Water temp was high 40's. Here's a pick of Dad with a brown...

All in all a good trip. Dad caught his first Kokanee, his first Pike, and his first Mackinaw. Really surprised at the Kokanee population this year - looks very promising! Saw lots of wildlife - LOTS of moose in the Grand Lake area as well as the usual deer and elk.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Who says I washed it? I dunked the trailer in and out of the water a couple times after launching to remove the mud before putting the boat back on it :)

Rinsed the boat off when I got home. Hope it doesn't bring bad luck.

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
It sounds like it was a fun trip.

I've never heard of the mud on the boat causing bad luck excuse. I think you will be ok. However, if you notice a significant drop off in caught fish, that's not attributable to other factors, let us know.

·
Registered
24,568 Posts
Awesome report Mr Ed...

Makes me want to fish Granby...

T:

that's not attributable to other factors, let us know
there is no curse...

·
Registered
24,568 Posts
You better hit Chatfield or Creek before the latest hatch of shad babies pop out and then it becomes curse city again...and you arent paranoid if they really are out to get you...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts