Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So, as I've stated previously, I am going through my grandmother's house and trying to make a dent in years of neglect and "collection"... I happened upon a large tote of pictures in the basement and started going through them... THOUSANDS of pictures. We are trying to scan them all in, but it is going to take weeks.

Anyway, my grandpa died a few years ago after suffering from and struggling with dementia. It is a terrible thing to see a great man go from being himself and the head of a family to a small shell of his former self... barely remembering his own name. In the last years of his life, he had moments of clarity and lucidity, but they became fewer and farther between as time rolled on. I prefer to remember him another way... Not as the angry confused man who became verbally abusive and spiteful when he could not place his situation, but as a great man... a man who raised a wonderful family and loved his grandchildren. Here are some pictures of my grandfather, his father, and his children fishing. Hope you enjoy

Pic #1: This is a picture of my GREAT grandfather, grandpa Charles Brand, fishing in the 1930s on the coast using a giant cane pole... He told stories that he caught sharks on this setup. He is the one in the back.

Pic #2: My grandfather and my dad (when he was just a little kid) with a very nice largemouth bass

Pic #3: My grandfather after one of his beloved night fishing trips. He would often go out after putting the kids to bed and catch the next day's lunch and dinner. He loved the quiet and solitude of fishing at night... I have to say I have inherited that love.

Pic #4: This was the first time my grandfather took the whole family to Blue Mesa... 1969. (the pic says 1971, but it went undeveloped for over a year and the pic was ACTUALLY taken in 1969) Blue Mesa was a different place then... This trip would greatly impact the fishing futures of my dad (wearing yellow) and his brothers, as you will see in a minute.

Now, the next generation... My dad and his brothers (my uncles) Mike and Lance.

Having developed a love for fishing from my grandfather, Eddie Brand, the brothers went on 10-15 trips a year fishing... Most frequently to Blue Mesa, where they would fall in love with the area and the fishing. Here are some pictures to tell the story.

My dad, 1971 (Blue Mesa)

My dad, 1972 (Nederland)

My dad and his best friend, Bryson, 1972 (Blue Mesa)

My dad, 1973 (Blue Mesa)

Dad, Uncle Lance, and Uncle Mike, 1976 (Blue Mesa)

This picture was taken by my grandpa, as he returned to the place that started it all for my dad and his brothers... A dad fishing with his sons.

***EDIT*** 2/21 added these pix:

This is how I remember my grandpa... A man who loved his family, loved the outdoors, loved life, and loved fishing.

I want nothing more in this world than to pass onto my son the love for life and family, and the passion for the outdoors that my grandpa passed onto his kids... If I can accomplish that, regardless of monetary gain or worldly possessions, I will sleep peacefully 6 feet under the ground... when I have finally gone on that great fishing trip in the sky.

I miss you grandpa... keep my reel oiled for me up there! We'll be fishing again... soon enough.

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
Awesome to have pictures like that to help jog the memory!!

I've got tons of pictures i inherited from my dad when he passed away over a year ago..... All the fish pics are DEAD bass and catfish!! LOL

I was thinking about posting a thread that shows how i grew up and what i was taught vs what i learned on this forum and do now.... This forum is soley responsible for turning me from a fish killer to a select harvester.

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As I've been going through more and more pix today, I have found a bunch more old fishing pictures... There really are thousands of pics... I imagine I'll find a bunch more fishing pix too.

just too cool, man... What a treasure to find!!!

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
John, I'm going carp fishing here in a few minutes... Catch the sundown bite. If I catch, I'll take a few pix for ya. Curious how they fared under the ice for 2 and a half months.

·
Registered
991 Posts
You're a lucky man to have these memories! I have one picture of my dad that involves fish and none of anybody upline from him...

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the replies guys... Really.

Help.... The pic of grandpa night fishing... Can anyone enhance the photo at all, maybe be able to tell me what species he's got there? He was known for catching cats at night, but I think I see carp in there too... Maybe bullhead as well?

·
Registered
1,704 Posts

Here is the best I can do.
Looks like a bunch of bully's, a carp and a sunfish of some sort in the middle... a bass is my guess.
Nice post opry and happy Birthday.

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks ghostman. :). I appreciate the ID.

I wish I could fish the place he used to always fish at night.... He was a talker, man... Could smooth talk his way into and out of everything.

This was a pond on a private golf course... He worked something out with the owner to be able to fish this pond after hours and he was the only person who was allowed to fish it. He took me one time and we caught 2 buckets full of bullhead and 3 nice channels. I fell asleep after my arms got tired from reeling in fish. I woke up in his old VW van halfway home.

:)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts