Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

Grass carp on the fly questions

440 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  SlabSeeker 
#1 ·
I fished in Colorado for trout most of life but now I am currently living in south korea and have found some huge grass carp in some river systems...i have never tried for these beastly fish so has anyone out there ever fly fished for grass carp and if so what are the tactics used. The carp out here are HUGE and plentiful. Can't wait to catch one...

#3 · (Edited)
I believe they are not as diverse in their diet as common carp making them a tough target. I've only hooked one, an accident at that, and lost is when it wrapped me on some bottom structure. I would start with flies that resemble broken parts of whatever vegetation is growing in the water there and targeted by those fish.(Yes, they have preferences) There are some good patterns on the web you can use as a template, then tweek them to match the native aquatic flora. Same tactics as common carp; long casts and stealth. Good luck and hold on!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.