Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Local lake has some hugh Grass Carp. They have been sucking in Elm seeds off the surface.
Anyone have any tips/ideas on trying to catch them?

M

·
0 Posts
DON'T CHUM - it's illegal in Colorado.

Keep an eye on the DOW fishing report for Sloan's Lake - there is a recipe about using Jello with bread every once in a while.

·
Registered
52 Posts
i c... no chumming huh?

i still recommend corn. even though carps are omnivorous they prefer plant matters. i would make bread doughs but they don't seem to stay on the hook as well as corn. you'll also catch other fish like trout and cats.

good luck and have fun.

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
who says all carp are omnivorour
some of the biggest carp i have caught were taking whole blue gill or cut bait or will even take shrimp

so if i were to try to target the bigger carp i would say try something a little bigger then just corn or bread

but thats just my 2 cents

·
Registered
52 Posts
fishingkats said:
who says all carp are omnivorour
some of the biggest carp i have caught were taking whole blue gill or cut bait or will even take shrimp         

so if i were to try to target the bigger carp i would say try something a little bigger then just corn or bread

but thats just my 2 cents
by meaning omnivor it is to eat both plant and animal matters unlike herbivors are plant and carnivors are meat. i know you can catch carp on worms and cut up meat and minnows. but i know most of their diet consist of decaying plant matter. carps are very opportunistic so you can catch it on basically anything.

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
i put it up that way just so people will look at it and say what???

why do people always want to put fish in just one category
they are animals just like us
we do things just because we want to no reason we just do them

just trying to make people think and go out of the box
corn for carp
why are walleyes in shallow water
why are those fish in the water over there

just wanting people to try other things
giving them something to think about

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Everything I have read about Grass Carp /Amur (sp?) is they only eat their veggies.
Floating soft corn might be the best idea.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Like earplug said, grass carp/amur are solely vegetarians, the common carp that you see in huge numbers around here is an omnivorous, opportunistic feeder (aka you can catch it on freakin' anything). I've seen peopel use mulberries and other berries (chokecherries if anyone knows what those are) and also seen HUGE grass carp caught on flies tied to imitate a cottony seed that was falling on the water. The common carp and grass carp are definitely two different species with the latter getting much bigger and better looking.

·
Registered
52 Posts
VolFan said:
Like earplug said, grass carp/amur are solely vegetarians, the common carp that you see in huge numbers around here is an omnivorous, opportunistic feeder (aka you can catch it on freakin' anything).  I've seen peopel use mulberries and other berries (chokecherries if anyone knows what those are) and also seen HUGE  grass carp caught on flies tied to imitate a cottony seed that was falling on the water.  The common carp and grass carp are definitely two different species with the latter getting much bigger and better looking.
good info. this explains why my father never understood how people caught carp on animal matter. he never fished for carp in america. he heard of people catching carps on worms and his reply would be "what kind of carp is this. i never heard of carps eating worm."
in native korea he used to fish for carp using bread dough and never had a bite on worms. that maybe is because herbivorous grass carps are native to korea. two different continents. two different carps.

M

·
0 Posts
Sook, if it helps, I've caught some really big carp at Elevenmile on crawlers. I've also caught carp at North Sterling on Berkley Power Grubs.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Swimbait, I'm not arguing, just asking...
Are you sure you're not talking about the common carp around here when you're catching them on halfbacks and such? I haven't seen any grass carp in CO other than in a pond near Bear Creek. The abundant carp around here aren't grass carp, they're a different species. I've seen grass carp to (probably) 70 lbs in canals in florida, just munching on algae. I haven't ever been able to hook up on anything but fruit flies with them, but I'm sure it's possible. The carp around here aren't nearly as selective...

·
Registered
6,432 Posts
I got a good recipe for dough bait...

1 egg
1 tablespoon vanilla
breadcrumbs to form dough
flour to stiffen dough to good consistency

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
I used to catch a ton of carp off a peanut butter and cornmeal dough baits. Just keep mixing in corn meal into the peanut butter until you have a stiff dough. Works really well!

·
Registered
699 Posts
here is a technique for grassies or amur when the night s are warm get a fresh loaf of bread light line on a spinning real and aberdeen hooks size 8 works real well if there are shad on the lake.

1 tie hook to line no sinker swivel or anything

2 take crust of fresh slice of white bread

3 place hook in middle of slice and cup it around hook pinching edges together very hard forming a floating ball of bread

4 toss out gently as far as you can leave bail open. ( very important)

5 sit back relax and listen for slurping sound while waiting watch your line it may flit out a bit. ( just shad pushing bread around)

6 when line startes peeling off spool pick up rod wait a moment and then close bail and set hook and hold on tight.

have seen fights with white amure last into the hour catagory with massive runs several times during that. fish will fight itself to death if not careful.

oh yeah dont touch gill plates they are like razors

1 - 17 of 17 Posts