Colorado Fisherman Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
1,895 Posts
Like earplug said, grass carp/amur are solely vegetarians, the common carp that you see in huge numbers around here is an omnivorous, opportunistic feeder (aka you can catch it on freakin' anything). I've seen peopel use mulberries and other berries (chokecherries if anyone knows what those are) and also seen HUGE grass carp caught on flies tied to imitate a cottony seed that was falling on the water. The common carp and grass carp are definitely two different species with the latter getting much bigger and better looking.

· Registered
1,895 Posts
Swimbait, I'm not arguing, just asking...
Are you sure you're not talking about the common carp around here when you're catching them on halfbacks and such? I haven't seen any grass carp in CO other than in a pond near Bear Creek. The abundant carp around here aren't grass carp, they're a different species. I've seen grass carp to (probably) 70 lbs in canals in florida, just munching on algae. I haven't ever been able to hook up on anything but fruit flies with them, but I'm sure it's possible. The carp around here aren't nearly as selective...

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.