Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got up there about 11:00am wed. Wind wasn't that bad and it wasn't that cold. Looked like it was going to be a great day. Started under the dam was fishing with a big old cone headed vanilla wooley trailed by a orange scud (see I was listening Rottal). First cast of the day 8" rainbow. I have never caught little fish at the reef before but I caught a lot in the 6-8 inch range on that scud pattern. Second cast: I always read that you are suppose to "fish the drift " at the end of your cast. So i was swinging the fly down stream then BAM something hit the end of it. I thought I had snagged my line on a rock. Then the rock ran and tailed in the water and I almost dropped my rod. The pictures do not do the fish justice. While it was not as fat as most of the fish I catch up there it is the longest fish I've ever caught. It was the length of ny net plus my fist. My net measured 21 and 3/4 inches and my fist measured 4. That's right a 25 and 3/4 inch rainbow trout. A pesonal best and I couldn't be happier.

Fished through the afternoon under the dam caught a lot of the little trout and landed a nice fat 18 inch bow. Decided to move to the secret spot on the platte that no one must speak of and only Slayer knows the true location of. HA HA! If you know you know. Lots of Ice on the bank and all that hot water doesn't make it any warmer. Caught a pair of FAT 16-17 inchers. Probably the fatest 16 inch fish I've ever caught.

That night the winds almost took our little cabin away and when we woke up thursday the advancing snow storm was only a few hours away so we skipped breakfast and went to my favorite little secret spot. Lets call it Busby(it's another one of those if you know you know things). My island is back from the deep and I was hooking a lot of fish on a pattern I picked up at the shop right as you turn in to the dam. Only landed one. He was healthy 19 incher though. Very icy on the banks there. Almost took a bath a couple of times. Then the storm hit. Very cold, lots of snow, white out conditions. Saw alot of trailers flipped over by the wind on the way home( and a fed-ex truck)!

All in all a great trip. Flows were at 500, not alot of people, the first days weather was great. Sorry for the long post but I've never had a great report on the site before and when you catch your best fish ever it's hard to stop typing. Thanks for listening.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
dead drifting the vanilla bugger with a scud...your def. meat hunting! Typically what I do at the reef is bring two rods out on the water with me; my five weight and my seven weight stuffed in the front pocket of my waders. It saves me a lot of time switching rigging from smaller midge type stuff to bigger streamers. Typically on my five I'll lead with an orange scud or a hot head leech. This time of year I would probably go with the scud though. Then I follow it with a blood midge and finally a black beauty. I'll work an RS2 in there once an a while as well. On my seven, I'll work an orange blossom and a vanilla bugger or just one big streamer like a double bunny. Some times I'll strip it in and others times I'll dead drift them. Good report and Im glad to hear the reef treated you well!

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Good report, im glad to see you got into some fish...and i only said the scud works, i never said anything about it only catching big fish ;)

I also usually only catch larger fish on the Reef, but sometimes after they stock it you get into pods of small fish and catch dozens of them until you move on...

nice pics also...you cant complain about a 25 inch rainbow, thats hard to beat anywhere :)

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
wherever they stock it---and im not sure exactly (all i know is approximately half of the North Platte is managed as a wild trout fishery and is not stocked) i have gotten into large groups of fish---that appear to be stockers to my untrained eye--- and had to often move away from them in order to get shots at larger fish...this has happened to me right below the put in near Alcova and about halfway down to Lusby while floating it one year...it was like we were fishing in a bait tank full of shiners....

this also happens on the Mile, with more frequency ive noticed than when i used to fish it as a kid and we would catch the odd "football" shaped trout...that i havnt seen in like 20 years...i wonder what happened to them...

of course nothing is as it used to be... and its going to have to be supplemented if people want to keep keeping fish...

There are also some surpising fish down below Goverment Bridge...if you know where to look... ;)

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They were definatley in force below the dam. If my indicator twitched like I was hitting bottom and I set the hook I had a little trout on the end. Not complaining about catching fish just never happened before.

·
Registered
16,652 Posts
Good job,H-master! The secret alcova area produces all year. The spa is nice when the toes get cold.BTW, they DO stock the river above gray reef dam. 2 years ago we were catching all these big real dark rainbos and it didnt seem right and the guy at the store said they dumped in a bunch of brooders. And thats exactly what they looked like. Even the meat was white like a brooder.Love that place.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts