Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I'm going to try and go after grayling this weekend, I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on flies to try. I have never caught one before and all I know about them is they have bad short range eyesight and because of this they usually hit the fly on the way down not up like trout so delay the hookset a hair, and they have soft mouths. Any of you guys fished for them, here in Colorado?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Joe Wright has a biblical plague of them. They're very active in the inlet area at dusk. You can use any small dry pattern, say #18 or smaller, if you want to catch them on top. When I've fished them I found more consistent action with a lightly weighted small soft hackle. Keep you rod tip low and to the side and set the hook with a strip set. I hook more that way.

Big Creek lake has a good population too, but I haven't had consistent luck finding them in the evenings before the lake turns over.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm going to try Pomeroy lake... that way I have a good chance at some cutthroats to and will probably be by myself. Work has got me stressed out a little about getting laid off at the end of the month.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
When I lived in Alaska I caught grayling on the great western pattern: royal wulff. Since I've nabbed quite a few trout using that pattern I can't imagine that it wouldn't work on some at Joe Wright if that's where you're headed.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Small flies (a para adams, griffiths's gnat or something similiar) and a delayed hookeset on the surface...if not you will end up fouling a lot of fish. its hard to get used to (waiting for just a second before you set up on them) but it will increase your hook up ratio. there is something about the way they strike that isnt like regualr trout...perhaps thier mouth shape doesnt allow them to take a fly right off the surface. for nymphs try a small hares ear pattern. theres a few other lakes up near Cameron Pass (west of Ft Collins) that has grayling, ill get out a map and try to pinpoint them for you later....

T

·
0 Posts
Is there alot of lakes near north denver/northglenn (less than an hour drive) that has graylings?
I would love to try and catch grayling.
Can you catch grayling with a spinning reel setup?

·
Registered
943 Posts
the closest is probably about 2 hrs away and yes you can use a fly and bubble for them

·
Registered
16,613 Posts
I dont see why they wouldnt hit small gold kasty's. They hammered those through the ice.

·
Registered
943 Posts
they would have to be tiny ones

F

·
0 Posts
where is joe wright I would love to add grayling to the list of fish ive caught

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
it up north and slightly west of denver

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Rottal said:
Small flies (a para adams, griffiths's gnat or something similiar) and a delayed hookeset on the surface...if not you will end up fouling a lot of fish.  its hard to get used  to (waiting for just a second before you set up on them) but it will increase your hook up ratio.  there is  something about the way they strike that isnt like regualr trout...perhaps thier mouth shape doesnt allow them to take a fly right off the surface.   for nymphs try a small hares ear pattern.  theres a few other lakes up near Cameron Pass (west of Ft Collins) that has grayling, ill get out a map and try to pinpoint them for you later....
I was talking to the DOW biologist, he said the reason for the strike being different for grayling to trout is... Grayling have incredible eyesight and can spot tiny insects really far away but when they get close they have a hard time seeing them. So when they strike its usually to find the fly then they hit it all the way down.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
The lake i was thinking of near Cameran Pass was Zimmerman...but it hasnt had grayling in it since 1996 i guess (when i last fished it, in fact) so thats now out of the question i guess as far as a place to go--unless you want to see greenbacks, i guess thats all thats in there now. Another place ive seen some big ones was Pearl Lake, near Steamboat...but damn, i just read that no longer has grayling either--so sorry, both places i though of for you now suck and are no longer grayling fisheries. I guess Lower Big Creek Lake (west of Walden) has some in it, but ive never caught one out of there...i heard Crosho Lake (near Yampa) is now a good grayling fishery...but it looks like Joe Wright might be your best bet for at least catching some small ones.

thats an interesting fact about thier eyesight...i didnt know that.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
what happened to the grayling in them lakes were the lakes drained and not restocked with the grayling or do grayling have dificulty reproducing here?

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
I guess whirling disease played havoc on them at Pearl, and at Zimmerman they were poisoned out so they could be replaced with greenback cutts...or thats is what i read anyways. i remember seeing a dead one at Pearl that was huge...at least a couple of pounds, which was bigger than any ive heard of in colorado, and looked even bigger than the record at 1 lb 10 ounces.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
i didnt know whirling disease affected them i know they are related but not as close as browns and they deal with it quite well

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Im not certain...all i seem to recall reading is that they were not stocked "due to whirling disease concerns"...

·
Registered
16,613 Posts
they would have to be tiny ones

In fact,they were hammering 1/4 oz gold kasty's.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I fished Zimmerman back in the day and I had heard they killed it off to put green backs in. I wasn't aware whirling effected lakes or grayling.

Fish

1 - 20 of 35 Posts