Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had one of my best big fish fishing days this past weekend and I don't know why???

Date Saturday 4/22 Time 10am-1:00pm. Water clear Temp 56-58 degrees. No wind, blue sky flat water.

6lb test red Cajun line on a spinning rig with a 1/8oz brass worm weight and a zoom 5” ring worm in pumpkin color.

I started fishing for walleye in about 12-18 feet of water due to the clarity and time of day. After about 20 mins and no hits with few fish graphed, I pulled in closer to some rip rap and started casting a small ringworm close to shore. Bam, a decent hit that I missed because I was not ready for it.

I tried again the lure hits about 12" from shore in about 1 foot of water. Bam. Fish on, A 20" walleye is boated and released.

Another cast between 6 and 12" off the rip rap, in 12" -2 feet of water. Bam, a 28inch catfish!

I may be slow but even I figured out this pattern.

Over the next 3 hours I boated 4 wiper between 19-22inches, 4 Walleye between 17-20" and 4 catfish between 16 and 28" all on the ringworm and all hits were almost immediatly after hitting the water and very very shallow. So shallow that as soon as the worm hit the water, I had to twitch it so as to not let it fall and get hung up.

So,, WHY were these fish in that shallow of water on in the brightest part of a bluebird day?

Anybody else stumble into something that just didn’t make sense and had a great day because of it?

Any thoughts?

Thanks
Brett

·
Registered
674 Posts
The only thing that I can think of is that the fish were in the shallows to soak up the sun. The water was probably a little warmer right on the rocks too. Nice to here that you had such a good day. Not to many reports like that yet. Were you fishing one of the main reserviors here in town? I am having a lot of luck lately but none that shallow.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Roth,
The lake is a "limited access" lake.. I'd say the word private but it seems to bring out reply's that I'd rather not deal with. I'll say though that even though it is private, it is not like catching fish in a barrel as some would suggest. As an example, in 4 years, previously I have caught 1 wiper in the lake. We like it because we can camp and get away from most of the crowds.
There are trout in there and I would say that they average larger than a public lake and are more catchable typically. The warmwater species like walley and bass and wiper. Are just as tough to pattern and catch as any other salad bowl lake in the area.

Brett

·
Registered
664 Posts
Some days the fish are simply going nuts and you don't know why. they may continue to do this for a while or it may just be a period of hours that they're active. I seem to notice this most with trout...they're either on or off. I have learned that when I get into situations like this I try to soak it up and catch as many fish as I can because tomorrow they could be uncatchable.

L

·
0 Posts
The fish were where the bait was, they were in a aggresive feeding mood and you presented a bait in the proper manner. Pretty simple.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ya know, I think the cold front theory has alot of merit in this case. It was more like a feeding frenzy especially in light of the fact that I caught 3 species in that short amount of time and using the same pattern. I went in to shore to show my wife, Helped set up some stuff around camp and went back out 2 hrs later and only caught 1 walleye using the same technique.
Ive fished a lot in my 40+ years but not much for walleye, I was more suprised t find them up there as I have heard how much better the fishing is for them early and late. The wiper, I can see as they may have just been cruising the riprap ooking for minnows and crawfish.

Whatever the reason, It was a blast and all were returned to fight another day. Hopefully with me.
Thanks for all the responses.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts