Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here in TN hybrids and stripers or muts and purebreds as the locals like to call them are a big deal. However, not many people pursue them on a fly rod. Nonetheless, you can learn a hell of a lot from the spin fishermen and adapt some of their proven techniques to fly fishing. One such technique that the spin guys are using is called a jumping shad rig. This rig features a big styrofoam float placed about 2 feet infront of a soft plastic fluke or bass assasin. They cast and walk the dog with the styrofoam float which causes a huge surface disturbance while causing the fluke to occasional pop out of the water like a shad with a striper hot on its tail. The hits this technique produces are amazing.

After seeing the success of this rig I began playing around with a similar method on a fly rod. What I do is attach a big mylar popper 7 feet down on my leader. Off the back of this hook shank I drop a streamer (deciever, clouser, zonker etc... they all work) about 30 inches below the popper. I make about a 70-80 foot cast and begin chugging the popper. I very the retrieves untill I find what works. The beauty of this rig is that you're fishing top water and subsurface at the same time. Some times I'll pick a fish up on top and other times they will take my dropper. However, today something very unusual happened. I had a hybrid hit the topwater, which I hooked. I was right over the school and as soon as that fish took of with my topwater another 8 pound hybrid hit my deceiver!!! First time I can ever say I landed two 7-10 pound fish at the same time! You can only imagine what chaos that was to have two hybrids on a line; 24 inches away from eachother running for their life in the same direction. The only disadvantage of this rig I have is how cumbersome it is when casting. You really have to work in order to make a long cast but it's worth it. Give it a Shot!

·
Registered
164 Posts
I've used the same rig in the Brazos River in Texas while fishing for striper.. But I used a gurgler on top and clouser on bottom... Got the idea from years of trout fishing... I am not as good as "D" though.. I only managed to catch one fish at a time lol... Great advice "D" and story...

1 - 2 of 2 Posts