Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
here are three midge patterns that I have done very well with this winter. I tried taking pictures with my camera phone but these tiny midges just didn't turn out in any photo. So just use your imagination. ;D

CDC midge pupa

1.) tie on a 24 dry hook or 22 nymph hook using a cream colored thread.
2). Build up a tapered body thinner towards the bend and slightly thicker towards the eye. 
3) Dub a head/thorax with grey nymph dubbing. 
4) Tie in a sparse clump of white CDC or white dubbing angled over the top of the hook eye.  Trim it down fairly short.
5) whip finish behind the CDC.

This has been my favorite fly all winter.  I will always start with it as my final fly on a tandom. Some people build the budy with a cream collored duck biot but I think the same colored thread works just as well.

Laser Larva.

1) Tie with 8/0 black thread on a 20-22 dry hook.
2) Once the thread has been taken back to the bend tie in a strand of red wire and then a strand of clear nymph skin.
3) Bring the thread to the hook eye and then run the red wire directly over the top of the hook shank to the fron of the eye. Tie it down so the wire is snug against the top of the shank.
4 ) Wrap the nymph skin with each wrap tightly against against the other over all the way to the eye. Tie it down in front of the hook eye.
5) Build up a head with the black 8/0 and whip finish.  I would use head cement on this one.

this pattern is a great attractor yet resembles a blodd midge very closely.  This was a great pattern for me in 11 mile canyon and other similar waters.

Bionic Midge.

1) I like this fly in 24 with black 8/0  thread.
2) bring thread to back and tie in 4 strands of crystal flash as the tail and later to be used as the wing case.Trim the tail very short. 
3) Bring the front end of the crystal flash forward and tie it down 2/3 up the shank. 
4) After wrapping a solid black body build a head with black dubbing. 
5) run two strands of crystal flash along the side of the dubbed head and two strands along the other side.
6) trim excess and whip finish at the base of the eye.

These have been three very productive patterns and they are really easy to tie. Let me know if anything is unclear. Furthermore,  if you have any other good winter recipees you care to share, just leave em here.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Thanks for the patterns TopSluffer4, but I' a little confused about the body on your bionic midge. Is the body black dubbing or the crystal flash?

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the body is black thread covering the crystal flash used for the tail and wing case. I completely cover the crystal flash about 2/3 up the hook shank.  Then you have four strands of it exposed over the front of the head.  Dub an abdomon/head and then bring those four strands along the side with two on each side.  Tie them down trim the excess and whip finish at the base of the eye.  Hope that clarifies things....I wish I could get some pictures tht could better assist you.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I undrstand what you're saying now and thanks again for the clarification!!! ;D

I wish I had more patterns to share, but I usually just end up using the standard stuff like Black Beauties, Mercury Midges and small Pheasant Tails. 

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well those are pretty dang good patterns. I'd say 99 percent of the time I have atleast one of the the flies you mentioned on my line.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I read in one of your earlier posts that you like to use peacock herl at the head of your black beauties, but have you ever tried using olive brown ice dub as a substition? I only mention it because the ice dub seems to be a little more durable then peacock. I love using peacock in my flies, but man that stuff falls apart after pretty easily.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
BigRedFan said:
I read in one of your earlier posts that you like to use peacock herl at the head of your black beauties, but have you ever tried using olive brown ice dub as a substition?  I only mention it because the ice dub seems to be a little more durable then peacock.  I love using peacock in my flies, but man that stuff falls apart after pretty easily. 
i started using ice dub quite a bit instead of peacock herl...and i like it alot. its color can vary from package to package, so when you find the color you want buy some extra...sometimes its a bit too green or too black, depending on how it was blended or colored that particular batch.

i do that with thread and other dubbing also...maybe thats why i have so much fly tying junk in plastic tubs all over the house...

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yea I hear you on peacock hurl being less then durable. I tie so many of them though, if one comes unraveled I will always have 50 others waiting to get a chance. I have used the ice-dub your talking about and I still do some heads with just black. I know at places like waterton it makes absolutely no differance. However, grey reef is all about the peacock head for whatever reason. Not to say anything else won't catch fish but I like to go with what I have gained confidence in.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Yeah you sure are right about the ice dub variations. It's amazing how the the same dubbing can differ so much between each package.

Is there really such a thing as too many materials??

I fully understand about the need for peacock because there are some patterns that just don't look the same without it. For example Prince and Zug Bugs just do not look right without peacock. Plus there is just something about peacock that just adds that "it" to every pattern.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts