Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Chief NoCatchum and I fished just off the residential boat ramp in about 50 feet of water. Caught alot of lakers 10 inch to 18 inch. Maybe 40 for the day. Action lasted all day long on tube jigs tipped with sucker meat (thanks for all the suggestions on where to get it). The ice was about 8 inches thick...not quite as thick as I would have expected.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Just to add w/ the #'s of Mac's, we caught four Rainbows 8" to 14" two of which came up from 53 FOW one mid-depth and one an inch under the ice, it was a strange day, lots of fish but no pigs. Late. :-\

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
I fished there monday with a few friends. Personally I caught around 16 and lost a 10lb mac at the hole it broke my line. Still fun though. We were in 50 fow fishing with the same thing.

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
Same here,

Quickrelease, Vicki and I fished it on Monday too. I'm begining to realize its a fun lake in the winter too, with lots of action. We fished 9:30 to 3:30 and caught "lots" of 10-18 inch lakers - a bit smaller than the last few trips, still fun.

T

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There was definately no shortage of little ones..I think we lost a few big ones too. We both got snapped off a few times, don't think 6lb test is quite enough for mac fishing.

·
Registered
555 Posts
(I fished just off the residential boat ramp in about 50 feet of water)

Hey Scubapig, just curious, is that out from the boat ramp on the SW side of the lake, about a mile E of the dam.  Sorry for the ignorant question, I'm just not too familiar with the area and don't know how many boat ramps there are on Green Mountain.  Thanks!   

·
Registered
100 Posts
I can help w/ that......you are correct. Go accross the dam go East and turn into the residential area and look closely for the boat ramp signs. By the did you get any of my responces to your other questions?

·
Registered
555 Posts
Hey Chief,
This is the first message that I've gotten to reply to, from you (I'm not sure what happened to the others but do know that I will always respond to ones that I receive). Thanks again though, for the info. as to where the boat ramp is. I'm looking to give Green Mountain a try soon. Take care!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Not sure what it is I am doing wrong but I have responded to every email I have received. Yet I have never got a responce so I must be doing something wrong. I bet everyone thinks I am holding back info. when infact I have responded w/ alot of content....... I'll get in and try again.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Okay, what does it take to get a decent forcast??? For Green Mountain, it was supposed to be nice, sunny and winds of 10-20. I should back up a bit. I got a bit of a late start today, 7:30 and after spending over 3 hours on the parking lot that I affectionately call I-70, arrived at the lake. I was set up and was fishing by 11 am and for one hour, the weather was gorgeous. Sunny, a bit cool, but felt alot warmer than the temp, which was in the 20's at the time. Then it hit, the winds gusted from a constant in the mid 20's, up well into the 40's. Most of the fishermen out on the lake either headed closer to shore to attempt to find some cover or left all together.
As for the fishing, well, it was pretty decent. I was getting bites (subtle as they were) basically the whole time that I was there, from 11am-3pm. I ended up landing 1 rainbow and 10 macs, anywhere from 14 to 19". I was using the standard white tube jig, tipped with sucker meat in 62 fow about a hundred yards out from the Big Green Campground area.
Afterwards, it was over 3 hours in the parking lot (I-70) on the way back (I have never seen so much traffic on I-70 and there weren't even any accidents, just bottlenecks from the Eisenhower tunnel all the way to Idaho Springs, argh!).
Sorry for the whining, I guess that I should try to get out either waaaay ealier or perhaps, on a week day from time to time.
Well, that's it for now, take care all...........

·
Registered
344 Posts
First off, I want to say thanks to everyone that has posted thier techniques and tips on fishing for Lake trout. Thanks Scubapig and Chief Nocatchum. I have ice fished for many years, getting out on the ice an average of 12 times a year, but I never targeted Lake Trout. After reading this thread, Altidude and I, decided to give it a try.
Left Denver at 5 A.M. and got to the lake just before 7. Fished from 7:15-4:30.
The fishing was good, we caught aprox. 30 Lake trout, between 14-18". Slowest timewas between 11-1. Fished in 35-65', fishing near the residential boat ramp. Used white 3.5" tubes with sucker meat and smelt.
Thanks Again

·
Registered
555 Posts
I agree, all the tips for lakers has been very good. Specifics are always good, as it can be the little details that make the difference between an okay and a fantastic day.
Of course, as you all know, having a Vexilar doesn't make the fish bite, but it sure lets you know where they are and how they are reacting to your presentation (jigging more aggressively to get their attention and then subtly twitching the bait, if at all, once they move in and sometimes teasing them into biting if the fish aren't all that aggressive). Others have mentioned the technique of dropping the bait to the bottom and moving it up briskly to attract attention as well, again, all of the above are good advice, depending upon conditions.
So, with that, I have a question. Green Mountain seems to produce lakers using the standard tube jig/sucker meat combo, which is great. However, what's are the various techniques to get after the Kokes (as well as general locations, if you don't mind sharing). While I was fishing yesterday I noticed some activity around 30 feet down, over 62 feet of water. I was jigging two rods for macs near the bottom (what I was targeting). If the conditions when I was there hadn't been so blustery, I would've tied on a swedish pimple (or some jigging spoon) and tipped it with a meal worm to see if I could get some reaction. Again, what techniques and general locations have worked on kokes there for some of you?
Thanks in advance for anticipated responses! Take care and best of luck!

·
Registered
109 Posts
born2fsh1 said:
First off, I want to say thanks to everyone that has posted thier techniques and tips on fishing for Lake trout. Thanks Scubapig and Chief Nocatchum.
I'll second that. Thanks everyone for the tips. Though I don't post much, I am on here almost every day. The info that I have gathered from this site has helped my fishing alot.

FishinBud- As far as the traffic and the wind, you almost have to expect it, and prepare for it. On I70, if you're on it after 6-9 am or after 3-6pm, your in for a slow ride. It helps to leave early or late. The wind is a given almost anywhere in the state, don't care what the forecasts are!

Anyway, the fishing was good yesterday. Caught my first Lake Trout through the ice, got to play with a Vexilar, and just enjoyed being out there. Thanks.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Hey Altidude,
I hear ya' as far as the late start goes. I was waiting on others to show up before I could go, you know, (hurry up and waiting). In the future, I do plan to be on the road no later than 6:30 am. Even so, I've never seen so much traffice and plan to never be trapped in it again, if I can help it (I know, famous last words, :).
I also expect some wind, not a problem. It's just that like many, when taking kids along, you check the forcast to try and plan a day that will be as nice as possible. A 5-15 10-20 mph winds again, with some gusts are to be expected. But when the forcast is for the above and you get out there and it's a 25 mph sustained wind, with gusts into the 50's well, that's a little bit much as far as a forcast being way off. That's what I was refering to. The dozen times or so that I've fished Granby, I've never seen winds as bad as they were yesterday afternoon at Green Mountain.
The fishing was decent there, but the conditions were really bad in the afternoon, as I indicated, most called it a day when it began to blow. I think I'll fish Green Mountain only on relatively calm days and make the drive to Granby where one can find more shelter from the wind on days that warrant it.
Again, thanks for the input and best of luck!

·
Registered
555 Posts
C'mon ya'll !!!
  I threw out a line asking for suggestions as to where and how to fish kokes on Green Mountain and I've yet to have even gotten a nibble from anyone.  Show a little love here, ;D

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
fishinbud go to the main parking area by the dam and look at the people fishing in that area. The people that are fishing way out past the middle are fishing for salmon. there is a channel out there that is where I have had my best luck. I heard that the salmon are small this year but they are catching them.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Hey Rad, thank you much!
When I was at Green Mountain last weekend I saw people in that area and wondered if that was what they were targeting. Any suggestions on overall depth to look for? Also, what seems to work there? Swedish pimple/various other jigging spoons with a meal worm or something else?
As I mentioned before, I fished out from the Green Mountain campground and was fishing close to the bottom for macs. There also what quite a bit of fish coming through 30 feet down over 62 fow. I put a set line, ratso/meal worm at that depth and caught a rainbow but that was it. If the conditions hadn't been so brutal, I would been actively jigged at that depth as well. But with the wind, I primarily fished the bottom.
Again, thanks for the response, as I appreciate it!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts