Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fished G.M.with a friend today,parked at the public boat ramp and walked toward the dam about 300 yards. Fished in 28 fow with a glow tube/sucker on the bottom for macs and a silver and orange swedish pimple for trout.Caught one small mac on the tube and a small (14") mac and some smaller bows on the S.P.  Missed a few hits on both, decided to go over the channel and hunt kokes. Saw a lot cruising thru between 20 and 40 feet down over 180 fow.Went to spoons fluor. orange on one side , silver on the other one was a kasty 1/4oz and the other was a smaller spoon called Sockeye Slammer both tipped with mealworms untill I ran out then with wax worms. They were hitting both, we both limited out by 3:30pm.Also got a lot of tiny bows (under 10") on these, no decent trout all day though. Weather was great, no wind except for about 1.5hrs in the afternoon. Missed a ton of hits,waiting for a second little tap that never came. They got finicky in the afternoon but adding Berkley trout scent got them hitting again. About 12" of ice with almost a foot of fresh powder on top. It was easy to walk through plus there were some snowmobile tracks, but if you want to set up a shelter you might want to bring a small shovel.Most of the kokes were small compared to last year, but they were a lot of fun going after with our vexilars. When a school came through, you would be bringing up a fish on one pole and getting hits on your other pole at the same time!

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
that awesome man, what were the kokes inch wise, i think when i get my vexilar im going to hit green mountain and willow creek for some kokes, i cant wait to get mine, were you by the dam ?

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I didn't measure them but they all seemed smaller than what I used to get out of GM, probably about 11", a few bigger ones. After we walked a few hundred yards from the boat ramp and fished shallow we went straight out across the lake untill we found the channel.A couple of guys I talked to as we were leaving said that they got a 24" mac to the left of the dam.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Thanks for the report will have to wait until next week to go out. I bought some larger jigs in hopes of hitting that big fish. Have you caught alot of Rainbows through the ice at GM? On my last trip we caught four and we have fished the same area for years and have caught nothing but Mac's. Rumor has it the the browns in that lake are huge yet I have never caught one at GM. Sounds like a good trip w/ lots of action, I would really like to know that lake better. Late....

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Years ago I used to fish only the inlet end of GM.There was a place to park on the right side, then we would cross the highway, go down a hill about 50ft to the water and cross to the other side. Working those coves 10 to 18 fow we always hammered bows and once in a while got browns or macs. That was about 10 years ago but I imagine that they are still there.The few bows that I have caught the last 2 years around the public boat ramp while fishing for other species have been bigger than we used to get years ago, so I would think that if you learned the inlet end of the lake you could get into some decent rainbow fishing. Once at the inlet I hit a honey hole and caught bows, macs, salmon, and a brown in the same hole.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Thanks, Great Info I would love to ice fish the inlet area, it looks a little hard to get into. Hope you had a good weekend sounds like they had a cold one at 11 mile this weekend. 8)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts