Colorado Fisherman Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fished G.M.with a friend today,parked at the public boat ramp and walked toward the dam about 300 yards. Fished in 28 fow with a glow tube/sucker on the bottom for macs and a silver and orange swedish pimple for trout.Caught one small mac on the tube and a small (14") mac and some smaller bows on the S.P.  Missed a few hits on both, decided to go over the channel and hunt kokes. Saw a lot cruising thru between 20 and 40 feet down over 180 fow.Went to spoons fluor. orange on one side , silver on the other one was a kasty 1/4oz and the other was a smaller spoon called Sockeye Slammer both tipped with mealworms untill I ran out then with wax worms. They were hitting both, we both limited out by 3:30pm.Also got a lot of tiny bows (under 10") on these, no decent trout all day though. Weather was great, no wind except for about 1.5hrs in the afternoon. Missed a ton of hits,waiting for a second little tap that never came. They got finicky in the afternoon but adding Berkley trout scent got them hitting again. About 12" of ice with almost a foot of fresh powder on top. It was easy to walk through plus there were some snowmobile tracks, but if you want to set up a shelter you might want to bring a small shovel.Most of the kokes were small compared to last year, but they were a lot of fun going after with our vexilars. When a school came through, you would be bringing up a fish on one pole and getting hits on your other pole at the same time!

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I didn't measure them but they all seemed smaller than what I used to get out of GM, probably about 11", a few bigger ones. After we walked a few hundred yards from the boat ramp and fished shallow we went straight out across the lake untill we found the channel.A couple of guys I talked to as we were leaving said that they got a 24" mac to the left of the dam.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Years ago I used to fish only the inlet end of GM.There was a place to park on the right side, then we would cross the highway, go down a hill about 50ft to the water and cross to the other side. Working those coves 10 to 18 fow we always hammered bows and once in a while got browns or macs. That was about 10 years ago but I imagine that they are still there.The few bows that I have caught the last 2 years around the public boat ramp while fishing for other species have been bigger than we used to get years ago, so I would think that if you learned the inlet end of the lake you could get into some decent rainbow fishing. Once at the inlet I hit a honey hole and caught bows, macs, salmon, and a brown in the same hole.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts