Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
me my brother and friend met kastmisser and his friend at green mountain , what a great guy and what a great day , we caught over 60 fish , i limited out, caught and released five more , my friend and brother caught the same amount but they only kept nine between the two of them , but they also caught around fifteen each , kastmisser and his friend were also catching kokes, he even caught two bows, my brother caught a laker also , we were using flurescent jigs with waxies and swedish pimples , we were in the channel , i also had my jigging machine going , me and kastmisser were marking lots of suspended kokes , sometimes they were finicky but there were times when both rods were getting hit, overall a great day, i have some pictures ill post later

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Great job kokaneeking! I'm glad you found the kokes. I am going to try to go next weekend. I love when all those kokes come in on the vex it is real exciting. ;D

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it was very exciting , they would come and go but , most of the time they would just sit under my holes , they would follow it up and down on my vex

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Yep, kokaneeking was definetly living up to his name, he was kickin' koke butt on his new vex even on a day that they were being pretty finicky. I was getting jealous for a while there :-[. We all had a great time though, good weather and good fishing. KK's friend Jimmy caught the nicest silver koke that I have seen taken from GM, a FAT 16"er. Them's good eatin'!

·
Registered
359 Posts
How deep werew you guys fishing? I am assuming that the fish were suspended? We were out there also but only caught a few small lakers. Were you using a vex?

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
we were in the channel, not sure how deep , they were suspended threwout the water column, i was using a vex so was kastmisser and his friend , i difintely learned alot about my vex from kastmisser , he took his time to help me set up  , it was was a great time , by far my best ice fishing trip this year, i took my friend jimmy for his first time catching kokes , he was not using a vex and ended up with the biggest koke he is the guy in the red jacket, when i got home i eat 3 of the kokes by myself, they were excellent

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
They were coming through between 15 and 35 down, most of them between 20 and 25' down. A person without a vex could do fine if he kept his lure 20' down. They were very finicky though, so having a vex let you know they saw it, didn't like it and it was time to switch lures. Pink and white worked better than orange this time, when that quit working I got them on small tubes in yellow/green and white/green, all with waxies.Lots of trial and error though ???.

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i was using standard spoons like swedish pimples, i have this pink fluroescent jig , that jig was a hot producer , the only place ive ever seen um is budget tackle in granby , wax worms worked better then mealies

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thank you for sharing the information about your success. I'd like to give it a whirl even though I don't have a vexilar. As far as I know, the channel runs the length of the reservoir. Would you suggest I try toward the inlet or the dam or somewhere in between?

Also, do they seem to prefer rather small stuff such as 1/8 oz or do they like the bigger stuff such as a 1/4 or 3/8 ounce lure?

Thank You

·
Registered
100 Posts
Fishatonic if you can find access to the inlet let me know, last time I went we spent fish time in the morning looking w/o any success. You cant park off the road they have signs everywhere and all the lower parking areas are closed or unplowed. Even if you could park off the road its stright down a steep hill to the lake. If you have a snowmobile it would be awesome to try there, but if you dont I would not make the same mistake I did and burn up the morning bite. :-\

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
fishatonic , we were in the middle of the lake , we just happen to find the channel , good luck , but a vexialr is a most imo if you are going after kokes, fishing at 20 feet down in the channel is the best way to go , i also was using my jigging machine around all of our holes which helped considerbley , also use swedish pimples in size #3 in orange or pink , i liked this pink flourescent jigs that i buy from budget tackle in granby , id use both mealworms and waxies , thought waxies did work better, id use smaller stuff , i tried a 1/4 ounce spoon which seemed to scare them away

1 - 18 of 18 Posts