Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been having some trouble locating lakers on GM the past couple weeks. I have fished it 4 times this year, mostly over the past 6 weeks. The first week I landed 12 with as many lost on the way up, and they were active all morning. Next week I was out I landed 8 with a quite a few missed. 2 weeks ago I iced 5, but all in the first hour I was there then couldn't find them. Today I hit two the first 5 minutes I was there, then nothing for 2 hours, one more fish, then nothing again for 3. I think I moved 10 times today looking for them at different depths. I've been off the north boat ramp in anywhere from 40-80 feet. I am taking one last trip out on Thursday with an ice fishing virgin , and would like to find those fish again. Anyone know where they moved to? Any suggestions would be appreciated since this is probably my last ice trip this year and I would like to get my friend on some fish.

·
Registered
11,877 Posts
jamiehughes said:
damn, that just sounds like the way fishin is...does anyone know where the fish at my lakes moved to? :D
Someone's freezer is my guess. Thuis is Colorado, after all. >:D

J/k. I'm guessing you know exactly where the fish are in your lakes, Jamie. :D

·
Registered
216 Posts
Seems to be that way lately. We have been up ther 5 times this year taking new people and just going for short trips. Frist of the season it was good but the last two times have sucked. I went by myself to be able to move faster and landed 3 lakers and one 22'' bow. Moved all over even worked my way down to the dam were I had some good spots for the last couple of years and nothin. The last time we went we left earily got to the lake at 430am thinking bite has been better right befor light. Nope got two hitts all morning. Me and my wife moved and moved went thro a tank of gas in the auger. Mid day got stoped by the ranger for the frist time talked to him he also said people have been having a hard time ther. The limit out ther went up to 8 lakers for a bag limit to thin it out allittle but you think it would take more than a season to do it with the amount of lakers that it has. I'm in that same hut as you don't have any idea were all the lakers have went.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've been trying earlier every time as well. Was out at 6 last weekend, compared to a steady bite till almost 11 the first weekend I was out. Might just try williams fork head to south park for some Antero action. I didn't think they would thin out as fast as they did over the past few weeks either. Glad to hear it's not my skills that are gone, but just the fish.

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
williams fork can be just as frustrating,especially if you dont get away from the crowds. those lakers off the north ramp area of green mountain get hammered pretty hard. since its were most people access the lake.you may want to look at a map and venture away from that area. its tuff if your walking but if the snow and slush arent too bad id say go. i very rarley see another person were i fish gm, but then again i have a machine that makes getting away easier. good luck.and oh yeah have you tried different bait, these fish have seen alot of white tube jigs tipped with sucker meat!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Been doing better on 3" power grubs with sucker than on tubes until lately. Caught my first fish this past weekend jigging a kasty. Tried egg sacks to with no luck. Maybe I'll take a long walk this time. Snow was solid on Sunday and pretty easy to walk on. As long as I don't sink into the slush I'll be good. Any free maps available of the lake? DOW in NE has a database of 90% of the lakes with contour maps for free but I haven't found anything like that in CO yet.

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
dont know of any free maps, you certainly can borrow mine if youd like. im hoping to go up there sometime this week just not sure which day. but if you get onto the lake at the north area look to the islands and fish out infront of them in 45 to 65fow.otherwise i have a friend whom fishes the one bay that you drive by on highway nine. the one with the steep cliffs going down. i think hes crazy cause its a heck of a walk out but he always does good there.no pressure. if you need that map let me know.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Was on GM Sunday-first hour playing tag with small lakers. Caught two and decided to go close into shore. Dropped a line and put the rod down and started watching it zoom to the hole. Landed that laker-missed a hog that broke my line when I went to set the hook. Moved out to 80-85 ft of water with my friend. He landed ten in a half hour and I landed four.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Decided to hit it again today. Hiked a mile or so to the other side, and did much better. Lakers would come through in waves and hit on a slow bounce off the bottom. All fish were between 15 and 18". Landed 4 and missed a half dozen or so. Still a over a foot of ice, and the weather was awesome today.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
I have always done the best out there in 70fow, early in the morning till about 10 or 12pm, using white tube jigs and sucker meat. After 12pm you have to move around alot and the bite always seems to slow way down. We will usually fish shallower after about 11 or 12 and just fish for rainbows. Like someone else said get there as early as possible.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts