Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am taking a trip up there next weekend. Any word on the KOkes? ANy prime areas to camp with a pop-up? thanks ladies and gents. Never been to green mountain.

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
i;ve been there 3-4 times in the last 3 weeks the koke action is still good camp at the first campground close to inlet boat ramp

·
Registered
146 Posts
I'm heading up Thursday. Wondering if taking my boat would be a good idea or if it is better for Kokes from shore. What is the best way to catch them also? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
9,193 Posts
coloradonative said:
How hard is it to get a camp site this time of year?
I don't know about right at the reservoir for sure, but in the past several years I have spent a fair amount of time in that area in September/October, there's usually not many campers out, mostly hunters, I'm positive that there are 1000s of camp spots outside of the lake available. I'll bet you can call up there and see how many reservations they have already.

·
Registered
9,193 Posts
Wheelman said:
Great info, when does snagging season begin?
It has already begun, I think it started Sept. 1. and lasts until Oct. 31 (if I remember correctly) you might want to look it up if you aren't going soon.

If you're smart, since the water level is dropping, head upstream from the snaggers and pickup 1000s of snagging hooks from the rocks where the water used to be.  As the water drops the snaggers head closer to the main lake, which leaves all their snagging hooks along the rocky bottom that is now exposed.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Sounds Great! Where is the best place to snag is it better to hit the river rather than haul the boat up? A friend and I have never been snagging and just wanted to get ahold of a few salmon for the firehouse.

·
Registered
9,193 Posts
I would not take the boat if you are after the spawning kokes, doing so would be asking for an accident, large snagging hook embedded in your boat or face, or some other event that would surely make your fishing trip less enjoyable.

Get a ton of snagging hooks and use a broomstick rod with heavy heavy line, say 20-30lb test. When you get to the lake you'll see where everyone else is snagging, you'll park in the first lot at the lake itself, if you are travelling north along highway 9 from Silverthorne. Just go where everyone else is, either above or below them, or find a spot amongst them, and snag away.

I just had some fresh kokes sunday on the grill, caught then ate them within 4-5 hours, absolutely delicious! And I don't eat much fish, I like 'em cause they aren't all fishy tasting, but dang cleaning them is tough cause they are soooooo slimey...I think they, by far, take the cake as being the slimiest I've caught, slimier than suckers! :D

·
Registered
146 Posts
Thanks for all the info PHil! You have got me all fired up for some fresh salmon! I really appreciate all the info. Saved me a ton of gas and a possible trip to the emergency dept.

·
Registered
752 Posts
FishnPhil said:
I would not take the boat if you are after the spawning kokes, doing so would be asking for an accident, large snagging hook embedded in your boat or face, or some other event that would surely make your fishing trip less enjoyable.

Get a ton of snagging hooks and use a broomstick rod with heavy heavy line, say 20-30lb test. When you get to the lake you'll see where everyone else is snagging, you'll park in the first lot at the lake itself, if you are travelling north along highway 9 from Silverthorne. Just go where everyone else is, either above or below them, or find a spot amongst them, and snag away.

I just had some fresh kokes sunday on the grill, caught then ate them within 4-5 hours, absolutely delicious! And I don't eat much fish, I like 'em cause they aren't all fishy tasting, but dang cleaning them is tough cause they are soooooo slimey...I think they, by far, take the cake as being the slimiest I've caught, slimier than suckers! :D
Were you snagging

·
Registered
9,193 Posts
KokeeMonster said:
FishnPhil said:

Get a ton of snagging hooks and use a broomstick rod with heavy heavy line, say 20-30lb test.  When you get to the lake you'll see where everyone else is snagging, you'll park in the first lot at the lake itself, if you are travelling north along highway 9 from Silverthorne.  Just go where everyone else is, either above or below them, or find a spot amongst them, and snag away.

I just had some fresh kokes sunday on the grill, caught then ate them within 4-5 hours, absolutely delicious!  And I don't eat much fish, I like 'em cause they aren't all fishy tasting, but dang cleaning them is tough cause they are soooooo slimey...I think they, by far, take the cake as being the slimiest I've caught, slimier than suckers! :D
Were you snagging
Nope, I was trying to catch them on flies at green mountain but all I got were stocker bows on big 'ol pink streamers:

The ones I ate were from the Taylor river.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts