Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Green Mountain Reservoir 2-1-06

Headed up to the lake early in the morning and the weather was fairly cool and partly cloudy.  Headed down to the residential boat ramp and ventured out about 150 yds off shore to about 50 FOW. The ice was a solid 16+ inches, 1-2 inches of slush and few inches of snow on top of that.

Mainly caught Lakers and about half a dozen rainbows.  For the lakers it was the standard fare, white tube jig with sucker meat about a foot off the bottom.  Was amazing to see how aggressive these fish are on the vexilar.  If I missed a strike I would rather quickly start reeling the jig in and they would chase after and nail it.  Also the fish that were suspended were definitively more actively feeding.  I was however surprised to catch quite a few rainbows just off the bottom.

I was the only one on the ice till about 10:30 when some people started fishing just off the last turn off before the damn.  Based on where they set up it looked like they were targeting koke?s.  One word of caution, the road leading out from the boat ramp is a sheet of ice!!  I had to find someone with chains to pull me out.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I wish I knew, I didn't have a scale with me but at least 5+ lbs. One of the smaller ones I caught had a huge swollen belly. One that I kept had all sorts of partially digested fish in it. Was cool to see what they were eating.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The rainbows were in the same spot I was catching the lakers. I too thought ths to be wierd because I always thought the bows liked the 15 feet or less, but who am I to say that fish can't swim around and mingle. Most of the bows were caught near the bottom.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Last season, I caught lots of rainbows (even just stocker-sized fish) with a 2" tube and a strip of sucker at Chambers Lake. Haven't caught any there this year like that - but I haven't been as much, either.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I've had them take the whole tube but most of the time the pan size fish go for the hook and what is on it while the larger fish go for the whole thing. I was told that is an advantage of tipping the large lures was so you could catch whatever was there. The big fish go for the whole lure if they like it and the sucker meat or worm is either a further enticement or something to get them to keep the lure in their mouth long enough to set the hook. The smaller fish can go for just the little yummy thing.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I caught the bows on the standard laker fare, 3 in tube jigs. Two of them I caught were hanging out 15 feet below the ice. Its always fun to watch them eat the bait.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Weather was chilly in the morning, 3 degrees, but warmed up pretty nice. Spent most of my time in the shelter. The river had some open stretches but was mostly ice on the edges and slow spots.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I was wondering which boat ramp is the residential one. I have never fished GM. It shows 2 on the map I have. When driving by i usually see people on the north end.Would this also be another area to start at??
Thanks

·
Registered
765 Posts
nhurianek, I was one of those guys who was on the dam side of where you were fishing. That was a blue shelter you were in, correct? We did find some kokes where we were at and a couple of macks. One of the other groups who were there before us really got into the kokes and limited out. They were using orange Swedish Pimples with wax worms. After they left I started fishing their holes and found that the depth was only 35 ft. and the fish were right near the bottom. The fish moved out of the area so I started searching. I cut a hole about 75 yds. away from that spot and didn't even have enough line to hit the bottom. 220 ft. according to a depth finder that went that deep.

It sure was fun fishing with the new Vex. I can't imagine how I made it so many years without it. It is nice to have some idea what is going on down there. Those were the first fish I have been able to catch from this lake and my first ever silver koke. I think I will go back.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts