Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a late start yesterday and made it to the lake around 8. Wanted to try the cow creek area but the snow looked a little deep in there so I went to the last turn off before the damn. Quite a few people out on the north side so I decided to hoof it across to the boat ramp in Heeney. Had the place all to myself until about 10. Caught about a dozen fish but nothing over 18. Fished for a while with Mike & Nate but couldn't seem to get the fish to bite. Did manage to find some koke's but couldn't hook into one. The would just nibble at my spoon. Weather was great but I sun burned the crap out of my face and eyes, so remeber the glasses and sunscreen.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
I got a late start too yesterday - I used a topo map to find a spot, figured you would beat me out there ... & I got one hell of a sunburn also, i got a nice racing stripe on my forehead between hat & goggles, my friends are still laughing at me

I think i saw you over there, I was directly across on other side, parked by Big Green, I was furthest one north early ... I was looking for this huge drop off area .. goes 50 - 100 ft pretty quick.. you probably heard me drilling a bunch of holes.

I ended marking constant fish at 90 fow, fish at 75-90 ... took awhile, seemed like the first fish I marked left as soon as the lure was in water, then dead screen. Finally got a producing hole about noon, i think there was a ledge, depth finder would go from 85-92' when moved around the hole & i snagged something a few times.

Caught deep lakers & limited with some nice ones. In afternoon, kokes were constantly on screen from 20-30 fow, only had one strike on them (brass color swedish pimple), no hookups .... First fish was caught early, deadstick. I was out drilling & went to move camp, a nightcrawler on walleye rig floating near 85-90 ft had a fat 18 incher hooked up ... sweet! Caught 5 total, one 15 incher released

The biggest was almost 20" & looked like he was gonna explode ... i really thought this fish was gonna be way bigger when coming through the hole.  looked super fat .. was funny, still a nice fish & is gonna be yummy, cleaned em last night. He kinda popped when knife went in em, smelled a little funky too.  This fish was hooked before i had the bail closed, i was watching lure drop onto some marks at bottom & boom .. it never hit bottom. Best lure was a chartreuse hologram / silver kastmaster with sucker

My thanks to the guy at Sportmans Warehouse (Littleton), set me straight on a deep water line setup. 15lb Power Pro microfilament with about 10-15' of 8lb P-Line CFX Floro leader .. worked great for hookset & was sensitive too. Had no problems pulling up those deep lakers

·
Registered
97 Posts
We finally got out there at ten and started fishing with noah for a while I only hooked into one laker about 13" or so over about 100+ FOW, had quite a few bites with no hook sets to follow they were biting real lite, my friend matt got skunked, oh yeah I also burned the hell out of my face!! ouch!!
Hey noah when are you going next? I am planning to go again this friday with my kids, PM me if you would like to meet up.

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
nice lakers , the kokes most of been finicky , when i was there i was catching alot on a pink swedish pimple with a wax worm and alittle bit of nitro grease helped

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
DOG-
Nice pics and glad to hear you found some nice lakers. I thought you were going to run out of gas with as many holes as you were drilling!! Driving out the area you were in looked like swis cheese. I ended up doing a bit of exploring at the end of the day but had a hard time marking any fish. Found a school of kokes out by the damn. I've had a few lakers as you said pop when I cleaned them. The gas/air that comes out of them can really stink. I was in a cove over by the heeney boat ramp and the vex marked the bottom as 50 feet but when I droped a jig down it was way over 50. Kept thinking I was getting lite hits on the bottom but it turned out to either be weeds or like you said a ledge.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
how funny, i was wondering if anyone noticed. I figured i was far enough away from everyone else that it was ok (noise-wise). I felt the need to explore, i had a bad feeling of skunk since I had no idea what to expect there, the topo saved my butt. I used a tank & half. When i left i was soaked from knees down

I was looking for this drop near channel, i got pretty close i think. punched holes from 45 - 135 fow.

At least some of the holes didnt goto waste. The guy with the snowmobile moved in there about the time i limited out. Punched a couple more for his shanty ... in return i got a beer & a ride back to the lot ... cool guy .. even offered me margaritas .. but i was wipped, had to go

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
I got to the lake around 7. Went strait to the channel for some kokes. I tied on a orange and gold castmaster and deopped it down to 25ft. I caught 3 before I had time to tie on my other lure! When I did get it down there I started getting fish on both poles! I ended up catching around 25 It was a lot of fun I kept the first 10 and caught the others for fun. ;D went to the cow creek area around noon It was very ruff getting in there, only to catch a few real small lakers around 10''.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
dogkatcher that is a fatty!

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
why aren't the big lakers below the kokes? You'd think they would be.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Was out again today and there were a ton of people out there. DOG-Some people used your swiss cheese holes. I'll post a full report later.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
I cooked the 2 biggest lakers from this day ... breaded & deep fried ... wow!!!

All I can say is i want more!! gonna eat other 2 tomorrow!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts