Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got on ice about 7:30am. It wasn't that cold but it was a little windy. I think I figured out where the residential boat ramp is. It's where the road winds through the houses down to the ramp, right? I took the advice and didn't drive to the lake and I would second that advice. I am not very good with distance so I paced my way out about what I thought was 150 yards. Drilled my first hole and droped down a jig just to see how deep it was and my line never stopped falling. So I figured to deep. So I went back a ways and drilled some holes. I don't know how deep it was but I would say it was deeper than we fished at Granby. No action for the first hour and I was about to move and then the lakers moved in. After trial and error I came up with what I think is THE method for catching G.M. lakers. I was fishing two poles and this provided constant action on both. Drop one to the bottom. Let it sit on the bottom for a couple seconds. Drop the other. Lift it slowly off the bottom. I got many that took it on the bottom. If no fish on then jig a little and let it sit. If no fish with in a minute start slowly jigging and reeling it up. I've read about these suspended lakers having violent strikes, boy is that true. If you get it to the hole with no fish drop it down, turn to the other rod and repeat. I had constant action for about three hours.

I was using 2-3" jigs in glow or white with the red skirt. All tipped with sucker. I tried some of that berkly dip in roe and was not impressed. I seemed to only get hits when it had washed off. I would say 70% of the lakers ate the jig on the bottom, 20% hit it on the way up, and only 10% hit it the usuall jiggin way. I iced about 15 and lost probably twice that and got tons of bites. All were 15-20 inches. No one else on the lake at all. Thanks to every one who gave me some info. It really helped. Green Mountain is a great place.

Here is a random pic of the weather.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Re: Green Mountain Resevior 2-2-06

nice report. Sounds like the lakers at green mountain are pretty aggressive. I am tempted to try it; I'm used to bottom hugging lakers that you have to have a ton of finesse for. Yep...green mountain it is at some point this year! Great report, thanks for the info on how to catch them and nice fish!

·
Registered
24,589 Posts

Great job Hatchmaster and fishing blind...and nice report and pics...how thick was the ice?

·
Registered
166 Posts

Nice report, glad to hear you got into them. Did you catch anything other than lakers? I had the same experience with the roe, didn't catch anything until it was down there a while.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

TFB-I would recommend a trip. It really was pretty consistent action. I hooked a few BIG ones but they shook the hook about half way up. One fought so hard my real couldn't pick up any line just that sweet drag "click" I had another who took it on the fall and I didn't realize how long line had bee peeling out of the reel and when I set the hook WOW but he shook off after a second.

ZMAN- I would say ice was about 17 inches with one inch of slush with five inches of snow on top. But remember to take my mesurments with a grain of salt.

NHURIANEK-I didn't catch any thing besides lakers. I was hoping to get some of those 50 foot deep rainbows.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Nice report hatch! And yes, sounds like you found the right area.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Ive never fished Green Mountain. The information you guys have posted is very cool. I think I'll give it a try on THURSDAY. I can find the reservoir with no prob but not sure where the public boat ramp is...is it pretty obvious?

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Farcry it is obvous. If you are coming from silverthorne north on highway 9 take the left off the road to green mountain. (there is a sighn) Follow it for a while and you will see a blue sighn for the ramp. It's just after the bait shop. Park in the parking lot near the outhouse. I have heard bad things from people who drove down to the lake.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I was one of the unlucky people who drove down to the boat ramp and couldn't get out. Looks like from previous posts the best and easiest way to get to the lake is from one of the campgrounds.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Is there anywhere to park a RV there? is it even possible to drive it in this time of year?

We take the RV and park at keystone/breck a couple days in a row, it would be nice to get some fishing in when we are too tired to snowboard (or when its too crowded).

Can you just walk onto the lake?

thanks

B

·
0 Posts
Sounds like everyone has done well here. What are my chances of getting into some fish without a vexilar? So far this year I have done pretty well on Tarryall and Elevenmile without one. ;D

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Brian, Your chances are still great. I have a vexilar FL-18 but did not take it two weeks ago when I went. Just go off the boat ramp in about 60 fow with tubes and sucker meat and you'll catch em.

Good Luck

·
Registered
66 Posts
Went fishing at Green Mtn. on the 9th. We started fishing around 7:30 and fish were being iced around 7:50 We had most of our luck on white tube jigs, swedish pimples, and orange/silver kastmasters. (waxworms) Between use we probably iced 45 fish, mostly Kok's and some lakers. The weather was great and I only saw 6 other people fishing. Man I love fishing during the week.

Tipup

·
Registered
98 Posts
I was at Green Mountain on thursday (9th) also, I couldn't believe how great the weather was, bright sunshine and very little wind all day. We fished of the boat ramp out about 100 yards or so. I managed to ice 4 lakers all day, the biggest was 18 inches, I managed to lose about 8 after I hooked them. The other two in my group managed 1 laker each. (rookies). We were using typical stuff, tubes and sucker meat also jiggged swidish pimples and kastmastr's. Wasn't able to find any kokes (I should have gone to the other side of the lake and talked to tipup). I had a great day especially since it was my first time fishin green mountain. Thanks for all the useful tips I received from everyone.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts